Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: ac adapter overload  (Read 2488 times)

mtman

ac adapter overload
« on: July 26, 2005, 11:10:47 AM »
I accidently powered my gateway notebook with a cisco AC adpater. (greater output than the appropriate adapter) My computor was off at the time and the battery was out of juice. The charge light went on then off. Now I can't turn on the pc at all. No lights, no nothing. I fear the worst.  Any advice? -mtman

merlin_2

Re: ac adapter overload
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2005, 12:17:14 PM »
Try the correct adapter you may be lucky........

mtman

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2005, 12:42:37 PM »
no such luck! :'(

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2005, 12:50:37 PM »
You could give this  a go it may work.........there should a reset hole on the laptop.....on the side of the case somewhere......plug the proper adapter in and .....stick a pen in the re-set....hole.....got nothing to loose.....but time....taken the battery out and just use the adapter....suggestions to try if you wish to?

Computer_Commando

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005, 08:02:07 PM »
I accidently powered my gateway notebook with a cisco AC adpater. (greater output than the appropriate adapter) ...

What was written on the 2 adapters?

Output = xx VAC (or VDC) @ y Amps
If both adapters are DC out, does diagram on adapter show center pin + for both?

mtman

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2005, 07:48:44 AM »
Merlin_2, I attempted the reset and w/o a battery to no avail.  Thanks though!
Computer_Commando, the diagram on both adapters is the same. the output for the gateway charger is
19V=3.16A The output for the cisco charger is 48V=0.2A