Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Adding hard drive from older computer  (Read 11764 times)

truenorth

Guru

Re: Adding hard drive from older computer
    « Reply #15 on: August 14, 2010, 07:24:08 AM »
    Bubba, Yes the colour is normally red. However because IDE ribbon cables can be installed in reverse (they are capable of being so but should NOT be reversed) the colour is added so as to ensure proper placement. Absolutely that method you describe for the reasons you state is a very efficient way to do what you want to do. Again remember to set the pins to "slave" and back again to "master" when it returns home. truenorth

The Bubba

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• BIG BLUE HEAVEN
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #16 on: August 14, 2010, 07:33:56 AM »
    Thanks for the response, that seems to be everyones opinion and seems fine with me too.

The Bubba

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• BIG BLUE HEAVEN
    « Reply #17 on: August 14, 2010, 07:36:30 AM »
    Bubba, Yes the colour is normally red. However because IDE ribbon cables can be installed in reverse (they are capable of being so but should NOT be reversed) the colour is added so as to ensure proper placement. Absolutely that method you describe for the reasons you state is a very efficient way to do what you want to do. Again remember to set the pins to "slave" and back again to "master" when it returns home. truenorth

Thanks truenorth and I was going to do just as you stated about the slave/master swap.

The Bubba

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• BIG BLUE HEAVEN
    « Reply #18 on: August 14, 2010, 09:08:20 AM »
    There always seems to be a hiccup working on things aren't they? I pulled the old HD out and started to swap the jumper from master to slave and there are no designations ???. I remember them being on my DVD recorder.  There are four sets of pins and the master is to the far left. Anyone know anything about this? I'm going to google it (actually I use Dogpile) but will wait and see what you guys know.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #19 on: August 14, 2010, 09:37:28 AM »
    What manuf. drive is it ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

The Bubba

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• BIG BLUE HEAVEN
    « Reply #20 on: August 14, 2010, 09:49:03 AM »
    Never mind, I found a training video and the master/slave pin settings are on the top of the drive which were covered up by it's housing. I was going for the serial number/manufacturer when I found the video. Thanks anyway Patio. BTW, I have clicked on the thanks link many times and they're not showing up next to my username.

mroilfield

Mentor
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #21 on: August 14, 2010, 09:55:22 AM »
    The "Thanked" number beside your user names shows how many times another member has thanked you. Not how many times you have thanked others.
    You can't fix Stupid!!!

The Bubba

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• BIG BLUE HEAVEN
    « Reply #22 on: August 14, 2010, 10:01:23 AM »
    I removed the case and the instructions are in reverse. In other words looking at the drive like you are plugging in the connectors, the master is on the left. In the instructions, it shows it on the right. BTW, it's a Quantum "Fireball" SE 3.5 series I'll check back later but will search in the mean time and see what I can find. The instructions show the slave to be two pins down from the master or 3rd set.

The Bubba

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• BIG BLUE HEAVEN
    « Reply #23 on: August 14, 2010, 10:02:51 AM »
    The "Thanked" number beside your user names shows how many times another member has thanked you. Not how many times you have thanked others.

Thanks for the info. I'm sure my number will remain a zero then ;D.

The Bubba

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• BIG BLUE HEAVEN
    « Reply #24 on: August 14, 2010, 10:29:57 AM »
    I found this page with info similar to mine and it says the third set of pins as well for the slave. It has an interesting factoid though where it says in order to make the drive a slave, you can remove the jumper all together. I think I'll go with the 3rd set.

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=168019&NewLang=en&Hilite=Quantum+Fireball+SE+3.5

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #25 on: August 14, 2010, 10:32:59 AM »
    Thanks for your response, I had read that leaving the computer plugged in rid the chance of static electricity damage because of the grounding of the plug.
    You seem to have read all posts and are aware of the concerns expressed here. But, I believe you are raising a valid point about the grounding provided having the cord plugged into an outlet.  However, I agree with the concerns expressed in this discussion about leaving a computer plugged in while working on it.  The essence of the comments is that it's not safe to trust that a computer power switch, alone, and maybe the power supply box inside the computer, can not be relied upon for safe handling of internal components while the computer turned "off". 

So, an option, one I sometimes use, is to connect the computer to a surge protector - and, of course, you should always have this protection anyway - and to turn the switch on the surge protector off.  I believe this still provides grounding but cuts the power. 

BTW, I always unplug both computers, but then again, I am an ESD expert and it's all 2nd nature to me.  ESD (Electro Static Discharge) has nothing to do with grounding.  It has everything to do with putting your body at the same Electrical Potential as the computer.  It's easier to say "grounding" because most can understand that.
    Computer_Commando, can you state exactly what you mean by that high lighted phrase?  I suspect you mean touch the computer chasis somewhere before poking around inside.  Am I right?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #26 on: August 14, 2010, 10:39:53 AM »
    Thanks for the info. I'm sure my number will remain a zero then ;D.

I just thanked you...just to see if it is working...if not Thanx !
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

The Bubba

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• BIG BLUE HEAVEN
    « Reply #27 on: August 14, 2010, 10:42:38 AM »
    I just thanked you...just to see if it is working...if not Thanx !

That wasn't necessary but nice of you anyway. At least I'm not a zero anymore ;D.

The Bubba

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• BIG BLUE HEAVEN
    « Reply #28 on: August 14, 2010, 10:45:37 AM »
    Thanks soybean, the computer I'm putting the drive in has a surge suppressor and had planned to turn it off before installing it.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2010, 10:54:06 AM »
      Soybean, Of course C-C may want to respond to your question (the yellow highlight) but i shall venture what he meant is that electric current always wants to travel to the lower current object and thus if the 2 objects are of equal value there will be no inducement for a current to "flow" in either direction. Probably some techy way to better describe the phenomenon but i believe that is the essence of the concept. truenorth