Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: dOTnet framework 1.1 screws up login  (Read 3086 times)

capteric36

Topic Starter

Rookie

dOTnet framework 1.1 screws up login
    « on: September 01, 2010, 06:25:10 AM »
       I use an ATI ALL-IN-WONDER 9600XT board to watch TV on my computer.
     I recently learned (from a RAGE forum) that this board works best with .NET Framework version 1.1 ihstalled.
     Every time I install the .NET Framework version 1.1 REDISTRIBUTABLE from Microsoft download center it screws up my login, which I setup to require no username selection and no password entry. After all I have NO security issues with my computer, I live alone.
    Anybody have a link to a NON-REDISTRIBUTABLE version of .net ver 1.1?
    I would like to try that before giving up completely.
     Thanks in advance for any help,Eric T.

mustdie

Rookie

Answer
      « Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 10:47:37 AM »
      First uninstall it.

Then install Net Framework 3.5 or higher.

capteric36

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: dOTnet framework 1.1 screws up login
        « Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 11:02:09 AM »
         No, that's the point. I already have versions 2, 3, and 3.5 installed. The symptoms I'm getting are ocasional sync problems between the audio and the picture. These are the symptoms addressed by having version 1.1 also installed.
         So I need to try to find a copy of 1.1 that is NOT redistributable. That is what would be on the original installation disk, if it was stil readable, which it is not.
         Ain't ATI stuf FUN?!?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 03:22:01 PM »
        Anybody have a link to a NON-REDISTRIBUTABLE version of .net ver 1.1?

There is literally no such thing.

I use an ATI ALL-IN-WONDER 9600XT board to watch TV on my computer.
         I recently learned (from a RAGE forum) that this board works best with .NET Framework version 1.1 ihstalled.

nonsense. The Catalyst media center app will either require .NET framework 1.1 to work at all, or it won't work at all. There is no "it works better with Framework version X.X". Anybody who says that knows very little about the framework.

The versions, as you've discovered and as "mustdie" is clearly ignorant too, are not cumulative.

There are, at least from memory, Framework versions 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5, as well as the latest Version 4.0.

They are "cumulative" but they are not binary compatible with one another- which is to say, a program written to use the .NET 1.1 framework cannot run on a computer with only the 3.0 framework installed, even though the 3.0 framework has the same classes and features as the 1.1 framework, but with added capabilities.

This is because they decided to decouple themselves from being responsible for version incompatibilities- now when you compile a program for a specified framework, you know that you will be running with that framework, and not some newer version pretending to be an older version.

To my understanding ATI's Catalyst Control center, as well as their Catalyst Media center (which is included with their TV tuners) can run from either .NET 1.1 or .NET 2.0 frameworks, since they took precautions to work with both (according to the docs I could find as well as downloading, unpacking, and Reflecting on the assembly myself.

if that is the case, you will NOT gain anything by also having 1.1 installed. You will only need 1.1 installed if you run .NET programs that were compiled specifically to run on .NET 1.1, considering most of such applications are either useless and old or have been updated to newer versions, it's not really that necessary of a component today.

Your "sync problems" are the result of something other then framework 1.1, and possibly a side effect of something else that changes when you install it. with framework versions, either a program/assembly works and runs fine, or it doesn't start at all.

Have you tried other programs for viewing the TV tuner output? Sounds more like a problem with the application you are using to view it.
        These are the symptoms addressed by having version 1.1 also installed.
         So I need to try to find a copy of 1.1 that is NOT redistributable. That is what would be on the original installation disk,

Again, no such thing as a "NON-REDISTRIBUTABLE" version. Also the version on the disc is the redistributable- probably a earlier release then what is on the MS site maybe?

here's a link to what I believe is possibly an "older release" of 1.1:

http://www.oldapps.com/net_framework.php?old_net_framework=2

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

capteric36

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 05:07:01 PM »
          OK! Even the "older" version 1.1 causes my computer to be unbootable due to the username/password problem.
           So I am giving up on this supposed 'fix' for my occasional audio sync problem.
           I will continue to just close and re-open the TV program when it bothers me.
           Thanks again for the help.
            Eric T.