Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: BASeBlock  (Read 4064 times)

BC_Programmer

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
BASeBlock
« on: September 24, 2010, 10:27:01 AM »
My latest work! An early Alpha version I'm currently working on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3LUdIGjuXc

as I note in the description, I was going to call it"Poing 2" but have decided that it will be BASeBlock, or something else, since "Poing" is already the name of a different game (I didn't know it at the time I made the first one). I particularly like the particle effects and the rising scores, which will almost certainly get a lot of tweaking over time.

Biggest hurdle so far will be trying to give it a Level Editor, as well as being able to serialize Level Data. And make some original Music that doesn't blow goats. (I tried my hand at FL studio to make a quick little riff, so that I wouldn't have any copyright music or something and have the audio stripped out).

Also, having that little bit of debugging info at the bottom left gave me the idea to simply create a screen layout on the picturebox itself for things like score and extra balls, rather then use a separate frame/groupbox for that purpose.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

harry 48

Egghead

• lay back , relax and chill out
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Dribbling Pensioner
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: BASeBlock
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 12:09:53 PM »
very good well done , i used to play a game like that years ago

BC_Programmer

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 08:09:34 PM »
very good well done , i used to play a game like that years ago

yep, it's Yet Another Arkanoid Clone (hmm, perhaps that will be the name...  ;D)

Still a lot of work to be done on it, most of it is of the "less fun" type, (getting it to save and load properly from files); mostly I've been messing around with adding particle effects all over (the blocks, when hit, for example, spawn a number of particles, you can see this in the video- also, when the ball hits the paddle a few particles are spawned... and of course the bomb and ray blocks shoot out additional balls which spawn a bunch of particles as well (that's going to need some tweaking as well).

I'm dread to try this on my laptop,  because I feel certain it will run slowly... I hope I am instead pleasantly surprised  ;D
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

harry 48

Egghead

• lay back , relax and chill out
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Dribbling Pensioner
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 07:08:20 AM »
i'll try and find it and you can maybe add a few things from it