Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: August Computer Hope Monthly poll  (Read 10411 times)

Computer Hope Admin

Topic Starter
  • Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
August Computer Hope Monthly poll
« on: August 01, 2005, 08:49:01 AM »
For the month of August we thought we would run a poll to see how many users believe computer games provoke violence after all the recent news with Grand Theft Auto SanAndreas. Feel free to comment why or why not you believe games provoke violence and/or what should be done.

A complete listing of all the Computer Hope polls as well as last month’s poll can be found at (http://www.computerhope.com/polls.htm).    

Do you think games provoke violence?
Yes
No
Sometimes
Uncertain

For those of you who have not yet voted, voting can be done on our home page (http://www.computerhope.com).
« Last Edit: August 01, 2005, 08:49:32 AM by admin »
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

Raptor

Re: August Computer Hope Monthly poll
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 07:17:43 PM »
how many users believe computer games provoke violence after all the recent news with Grand Theft Auto SanAndreas

I very much doubt that games such as Grand Theft Auto, have people want to run over other people. The game series has been around for quite some time now and I have never read a news report where it said that the amount of ran over pedestrians has risen greatly ever since the release of GTA 1 .

Most games involve violence since people would not like to see the same happening in real life. If all games were about birds and bees, I think some people would be a whole lot more violent if they can't let their frustrations loose on a machine.

Besides, what's not to like about emptying your chain gun cartridge in an overwhelming force of flying skulls, undead marines and fireball launching imps? Beats solving virtual jigsaw puzzles.

Hilary Clinton should find a hobby. Or a better husband. I am sure he didn't mind the Hot Coffee mod one bit. Heck, he probably was the first to download it!

I am ordering my copy too, after all the fuss, I just need to see what it is all about.

There are only three things in life that I enjoy, and two of them are running over people.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2005, 07:19:52 PM by Raptor »

Scott Weingarten

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2005, 12:09:34 PM »
The link between video game violence and real world violence is a complete hoax.  Politicians (from both parties) use issues like this to give themselves the appearance of being concerned about us.  It's BS.
They do it to get votes, they simply don't care.

We might look to football and hockey for examples of real world violence, but I don't think those games make kids violent either.

All you have to do is look at all the NORMAL kids that play violent video games that DON'T kill people.
Case closed.

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005, 12:29:01 PM »
The question is ......how the person/s are wired up!! dna!!some can handle most of life as a game if you like//some find life/games hard to handle!plus the use of drugs/alc/mistreatment/ may also play apart in this question!One cannot not blame cdrom games!.alone......lack of talking to young people does not help!understanding is the key word!well one of them!imhao....
« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 12:29:56 PM by merlin_2 »

R0SS

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2005, 03:17:48 PM »
Well i think it depends.

It depends on who is playing it. We all have differnt Brains. I remember watching Die Hard when i was 12 and i thought it was cool. But other people thought it was sick.

Its the same with games. I played GTA2 when it came out i was about 13 or 14 i think and i did not have the urge to steel a car.

There will always be people out there that will think games are real or want to do what they see in the games,

Lol i play Americas Army but im not going to rush out and join the Army now am i? even if that was the point of the game.

Ross

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2005, 03:24:04 PM »
The true game is life itself!!!......

R0SS

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2005, 03:26:04 PM »
Right on m8! ;D

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2005, 03:26:46 PM »
Lol i play Americas Army but im not going to rush out and join the Army now am i? even if that was the point of the game.

Then, apparantly, the DOD has wasted their money promoting the game!   ;)

Cory Micheal M.

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2005, 01:45:56 PM »
I dont think that games cause violence I think the people choose violence choose violence. THE GAMES DONT CHOOSE YOUR ACTIONS, YOU DO. ;D

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2005, 02:21:24 PM »
I say sometimes... Becuase people see these things and think, "wow that's cool". That kind of makes their mind slip into the fantasy world, and they get all excited. Next thing you know they decide to try it, becuase they think that if THEY do it, it's harmless, but beucase their minds are lost, they don't see the danger. You notice more of these things seem to happen to teenagers and younger people. Their minds are becoming more creative, so they lose the concept of danger. But I don't think game sare directly responsible for such actions.

[glb]Flame[/glb]

R0SS

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2005, 12:43:15 PM »
Yeh i agree, Young people do want to do things they do in games. Because they just think it would be Game over and start again.

The people that do this tho are a minority and the rest uf us should not pay for what they get up to. Just becuse somone plays GTA then stells a car shouldent mean that it gets taken off the shelfs.

ROSS

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2005, 01:55:51 PM »
I agree. If they are taken off the shelves, then they are punishing the people who don't take these games seriously as well... It's the player's fault, becuase they don't realize what's going on. If you ask me, I say that people who try to immitate what they see in a game are just "weak minded".

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
    « Reply #12 on: August 14, 2005, 01:54:14 PM »
    You know, I really DON'T see any real connection between violent video games and real life.

First, and foremost, MOST GAMES ARE LIMITED TO A 17X17 INCH SCREEN. Only a tiny box contains most of the violence I see in my lifetime (besides movies) A kid's mind works differently if a game is on a computer screen that if it's on a GIANT SCREEN TV. A kid's objective is not to hurt; it's to WIN at any cost. Any kid who's sat down and honestly talked to will say this. However, taking the giant screen TV idea to the extreme, let's think about what would happen if a kid playes GTA on a Virtual Reality machine. In a regular computer, the kid usually chooses an "avatar" that the player represents. (Even if it's not chosen, there usually is one) In a VR, the player is personally responsible for the death, the carnage, the blood. Now, I'm not opposed to VR machines, as long as they steer clear of M rated games. A VR machine puts the user directly "in" the games, and the brain works differently. If the player was responsible in GTA for all the damage done, it's a frighteningly small step from that to ACTUALLY COMMITTING THE CRIMES.

Second, GAMES TEND TO BE UNREAL, TO THE POINT WHERE IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO ACTUALLY DO. Take the Star Wars games, for example. They are so unreal, I don't think that messes with someone (Though the VR could change that.) I mean, does anyone who gets pissed off at a person take out a lightsaber and cut off their heads?!? Half the nation would be dead, and another quarter would be put to death for murder! I don't believe that games can affect people that way.

The only cause for alarm is if the kid tries to mimic what's in a violent game in real life. I'm not talking about taking sticks and playing Star Wars, King Arthur, etc. I mean TRYING TO HURT OTHERS. That is the danger.

In short, violent games are acceptable, but there is a line which game designers should NOT DARE TO CROSS.
    « Last Edit: August 14, 2005, 01:54:47 PM by Timothy_Bennett »
    "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

Rodney

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2005, 11:36:37 PM »
    The reason i do not believe games cause vilence is because im a gamer. I have been playing games since before Atari. Yes im old but I am not violent. I can get angy like any other person but im not prone to it because I game. Those that believe that games cause violence are just trying to blame and point at something other than the facts. It comes from kids/people having no moral fiber. Not understanding right from wrong and real life from game land. There have been cases through out the gaming revolution where people take things to the extreme and these are usually the really disturbed and not right in the head people. It's like saying that music causes people to do this kind of crazy stuff. Better yet lets go back to the crusades heck that was god driven according to the man in charge. but i digress.. Games do not cause violent behavior. People who have no moral fiber/respect or any sence of repsponsability do violent things because they don't care what pain or problems cause. Thats my story and im sticking to it. :D

R0SS

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2005, 04:08:49 AM »
    Yes i agree with you but you have to admit that these people need to get there ideas from somewhere.

Maby games give them a taste for living on the edge and then after a while they get bored of them and want to try it in real life. Remember the people who do this clearly have weak minds or somthing.

Ross

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
      « Reply #15 on: August 18, 2005, 03:11:30 PM »
      You're right. Some people have no business playing violent games. But I agree with Rodney:
      It comes from kids/people having no moral fiber. Not understanding right from wrong and real life from game land.

Right on. If people have no morals, what stops them from doing it? Nothing! People need some moral following -- I don't care which! Just.. Something to keep them thinking: "This is wrong." I have no problem with games, but some people are just rotten to the core.
      "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

merlin_2

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2005, 03:32:26 PM »
      So do we stretch this. to .cartoons/adverts.........its a game........life is.........do we not venture out of the house for fear of being mugged/etc. no we dont ..whats next ban the bible for being voilent........hanging/nailing/thrown to lions/stoned etc..ban the news on tv......end post i feel..........

Next will be suing software makers like you know who for living up to what they promised people.......a twist in the tale..

Raptor

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2005, 03:36:54 PM »
      what stops them from doing it? Nothing!

Vigilantes. lol

R0SS

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2005, 03:25:02 PM »
      The Kids that carry out these crimes "Under the Infulence" of games dont have any morals because the majority of them come from disadvantaged areas, where they dont have a prominent parent figure.

They need a good parent to teach them whats right from wrong. I saw a program about a some guy in jail and he said he had been steeling cars from the age of 9!

Clearly its his parents fault not to correct the boy now!

So the Children who do this after playing games, its not the Game creators fault but its the fault of the Parents and School for now teaching them what is right or wrong from a young age.

R0SS

merlin_2

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2005, 07:40:04 PM »
      problem maybe the adults seek the quite life,and dont no what kids do anymore?As kids/adults dont talk to each other .I hate it when kids say iam bored...dont adults get bored.Of course we do,<boredom is a state of mind> the cure is stop buying kids stuff,take them out more,get you know your kids, do what a family should do,know each other.before the clock beats us all.

Joe Vreeland

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2005, 09:41:19 PM »
      Try this on for size:

We go to sad movies and exit with tears..go on, admit it macho guys!  

We go to comedy clubs and exit laughing...and that's when it's not X-rated.

We see those sad kids on the World Hunger PBS public service announcements and we are angry for them.

Do you now think that viewing such things does NOT affect one?

Now..imagine hours and hours of carnage and mayhem..is there a parallel?  :'(

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
      « Reply #21 on: August 27, 2005, 09:46:18 PM »
      I totally disagree... It depends on the person by far... If they don't know the difference between what you can and can not do, then you have such issues. I can see your point a LITTLE... Maybe after playing such a game you are angry...  I mean, some people will not cry at sad movies lol  I mean, it will depend on the person... No doubt...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Raptor

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2005, 06:43:06 AM »
      Now..imagine hours and hours of carnage and mayhem..is there a parallel?

Not quite.

viewing carnage and mayhem does not cause whoredom nor does it cause world hunger. Dentists and insurance companies do. Get your facts straightened out.  

We go to sad movies and exit with tears..go on, admit it macho guys!  

I never go to movie theatres. To me, two is a crowd. Plus, I would dislike to be blown up by some religious fanatic whilst watching a bad movie.

We see those sad kids on the World Hunger PBS public service announcements and we are angry for them.

And that is somehow the gamers fault? As I see it, it's the bureaucratic and honourless politicians who should be shot for their crimes against humanity and for showing cowardness.

Hopester Doofus

Adviser

• Hope-ing To Help
        « Reply #23 on: August 28, 2005, 12:30:13 PM »
        This question is not unique to the video game era. Society has been worried about the effects of violence in entertainment since the advent of movies and television. Gunplay in weekly westerns of the 50's, like Gunsmoke and Bonanza, engendered multitudes of debates on exactly what message we were sending to the youngest and most impressionable segments of our population.

What is beyond debate is that the levels of violence in all forms of entertainment, and our acceptance of it, has risen exponentially with each passing decade. When Clark Gable uttered the immortal line, "Frankly, Scarlett, I don't give a *censored*," in Gone With The Wind in 1939, the populace was stupefied. In 1960, audience members fainted when Janet Leigh was carved up by Anthony Perkins in the famous shower scene from Psycho, despite the fact the murder weapon was never shown entering Leigh's flesh, and the director used chocolate syrup to simulate her blood (movies were filmed in black and white in those days).

The question should be whether the entertainment industry has influenced the public over the intervening years, or whether we have implicitly demanded increasingly higher levels of violence and shock value in movies (and games) in our never ending quest to cross off one more item in the rapidly diminishing list of things we have never before seen. "Entertain us with novelty," has always been the battle cry of the pop culture consumer. The industry has always found a way to respond.

Is violence and our acceptance of it on the rise in everyday life? Likely. Are morals degrading?  Perhaps. Are children more detached from the human condition due to the plethora of video games and television programming which allows us to be entertained with no requirement whatsoever for social interaction? The studies tell us nothing.

But if violence in the media is the chicken, and tolerance of it is the egg, the argument as to which one came first will soldier on, unresolved, for years to come. I, for one, believe the two go hand in hand, and in the end we are all poorer for it.
        « Last Edit: August 28, 2005, 12:36:51 PM by DabbaDoo »
        There’s no limit to what you can achieve if you don’t mind who gets the credit.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
        « Reply #24 on: August 28, 2005, 12:41:18 PM »
        The number one thing I can find wrong with video games is that they assist in causing Obsessive Compulsive Disorder or OCD... Have a look at what this does... Horrible... http://web.nwe.ufl.edu/~jdouglas/psychologyprop.pdf ... Sure, violence is horrible, but that depends on the person just as much as this does...

[glb]Flame[/glb]
        « Last Edit: August 28, 2005, 12:42:10 PM by flame »

Raptor

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2005, 01:08:29 PM »
        That pretty much describes the average Counter-strike player.  ;D

R0SS

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2005, 03:31:09 PM »
        Im going to stick with, ITs down to the persons Morals.

When they are a child and there parents dont stop them from doing bad they continue to do bad,

I do agree with the point about feeling sad at movies and stuff. I mean i was soo sad when Die hard 3 finished,  ;D

yeh mabye if somone plays computer games 24/7 and when they are not playing computer games they are talking like they are in a computer game "Roger that!" they may think they are that person.

but that is totaly down too Intelligence and not knowing what is right from wrong!

R0SS

Mac

August Computer Hope Monthly poll
        « Reply #27 on: November 02, 2005, 06:37:51 AM »
        Yes I do. Violent games make for violent children. Violent children, many of whom are abused, as I was by my catholic school teachers, priests AND nuns who are KNOWN to abuse pupils placed in ther 'care' become violent adults and cause further abuse.

Games and cartoons are steadily becoming more violent as 'governments' build nuclear arsenals.

I have forbidden the military of all countries to use these weapons.

Nor is there any place for pornography on a public broadcasting network.

Nor should there be ANY prostitution nor ANY narcotics.

OPEN your eyes to the dreadful abuse and the SHEER waste of human life.

GX1_Man

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2005, 08:02:55 AM »
        Mac, what caused you to raise this issue after 2 months? Do we want to flog this horse some more?

Mr_President

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2006, 12:03:07 PM »
        Apparently they have eaten the horses over here. Maybe we should be flogging the butchers.

Gratuitous sex and violence leds to further gratuitous sex and violence. All the violence where viol = rape displayed in the media and in real life leads to what is known as copy-cat crime.

All in all it produces an escalation in crime in general.

http://www.sosfemmes.com/violences/viol_menu.htm

According to definition, crimes are committed by criminals, or those who have been criminalized.

No person should either commit crime or be criminalized.

These words, in keeping with many others, should not exist.

"In the beginning there was the Word..."

Then they discovered that not all words were good words, and that many words should never have come into being, which just goes to show that to be someone of few words is a good thing.
        « Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 01:34:11 PM by Mr_President »

GX1_Man

« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2006, 07:49:40 PM »
        This was over 3 months old. Don't construe this as communication with you.

R0SS

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2006, 06:42:36 AM »
        LOL im like.. August.??

Mac are you looking for attention now?

R0SS