Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem with two IDE drives after a MoBo replacement (Windows XP repair)  (Read 2464 times)

Dave Perry

Hi everyone.

I've just installed a new Asus motherboard after having had the same moBo for over four years. The problem has come from the fact that my old MoBo had two IDE connectors and my new MoBo only has one, which is forcing me to put my system drive, which is IDE, and my DVD drive on the same cable, which I had not done with my previous motherboard.

Problem is, the BIOS will only find one drive or the other. I can't get it to find them both at the same time. I've tried a bunch of different configurations and it will still only see one or the other. If I take one drive off and only have one on, it has always found that one drive on the cable.

So I can't get Windows XP to boot from CD in order to do a repair install so I can get my OS back in functional shape on my C: drive, because I have to have both of the IDE drives operational to do that and the system won't find both of them.

So my questions are as follows: if you have a DVD/CD drive and an IDE HDD drive on the same cable and you are going to boot Windows XP from CD and then do a repair installation onto the HDD (to get a previous installation on that drive working properly again) , does it matter which drive is master and which is slave on the cable?

Also, I need help trying to judge how my Maxtor HDD is set. It doesn't have any diagram or info on the drive indicating which jumper positions are master, slave, and cable select and I have no recollection at all as to how I might have set it in the past. It has two jumpers in it right now, one is horizontal and one is vertical.

Thanks very much in advance for your help,
Dave

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Problem with two IDE drives after a MoBo replacement (Windows XP repair)
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 02:19:42 AM »
Refer to this site about IDE jumper settings on one IDE connector : http://www.onlinecomputertips.com/hardware/hd_jumpers.html
Set BIOS to default settings, save and exit. Once IDE devices were recognized on BIOS set-up, boot cd as first. However a previous OS installed on HD from old mobo going into the Asus mobo will have to be a complete installation so all data will be lost. If necessary, back-up.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Problem with two IDE drives after a MoBo replacement (Windows XP repair)
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 07:53:44 AM »

MB===========================================Slave============Master.

The HDD should be jumpered master.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "