Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Starcraft II Crashing Issue  (Read 8728 times)

Ironman

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Virtus, Veneratio, Fidelitas
    • Yes
    • My Personal Site
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Starcraft II Crashing Issue
« on: October 27, 2010, 04:49:31 PM »
OK my I'm trying to play Starcraft II on my laptop but the game crashes and my laptop specs are:

Code: [Select]
MSI E7235
CPU: Intel Centrino 2
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GT 130
RAM: 4GB
HD: 320 GB

Alright, my problem is that I originally was able to play Starcraft II without any problems, then one day I decided to get Crysis on my laptop so I downloaded the latest GT 130 PhysX Drivers. So I am now able to play Crysis, but a few days ago I decided that I wanted to play Starcraft II again so I started it up and was able to get to the main menu, but anytime I press "Campaign" or "Tutorial" buttons the game crashes and gives me error file which I have attached. Any one can help me remedy this problem it would be greatly appreciated!

- Thanks

[recovering disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Starcraft II Crashing Issue
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 07:57:57 PM »
Revert to the previous driver you had installed and see if that works.

Azzaboi

Apprentice
  • Aaron's Game Zone
    • Aaron's Game Zone
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 02:04:15 AM »
Blizzard has stated a problem with Starcraft II using the latest nvidia drivers, you will need to revert back to a older driver for it to work for now. Annoying I know, in the near future a patch will be released to fix this issue. Happy gaming!
Aaron's Game Zone
The best free online flash games: http://azzaboi.weebly.com

Play Games - Play free games at Play Games Arcade

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 02:34:31 AM »
Blizzard has stated a problem with Starcraft II using the latest nvidia drivers

Curious as to where you get that information from. Never seen anything on the tech forums at the Blizzard or the SC2 sites. In their known issues they recommend upgrading to the latest version of drivers to solve a number of problems.

Azzaboi

Apprentice
  • Aaron's Game Zone
    • Aaron's Game Zone
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 02:35:25 PM »
The newer nVidia drivers have special settings for StarCraft 2 (sc2.exe) and the StarCraft Replay Viewer (sc2_rp.exe) for a performance boost, but nVidia is aware this has also caused crashing issues for some. Reading more into it, this causes crashing like the error message mentioned here, low fps and/or overheating, but should only affect the beta version of the StarCraft 2 game.

They created 'cloned' replacement drivers specially just to fix this issue:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista_32bit_197.25_beta.html (32 bit)
http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista_64bit_197.25_beta.html (64 bit)

You shouldn't actually need these... are you running the beta or a modified/cracked EXE?
Aaron's Game Zone

Ironman

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Yes
    • My Personal Site
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 10:18:02 PM »
The newer nVidia drivers have special settings for StarCraft 2 (sc2.exe) and the StarCraft Replay Viewer (sc2_rp.exe) for a performance boost, but nVidia is aware this has also caused crashing issues for some. Reading more into it, this causes crashing like the error message mentioned here, low fps and/or overheating, but should only affect the beta version of the StarCraft 2 game.

They created 'cloned' replacement drivers specially just to fix this issue:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista_32bit_197.25_beta.html (32 bit)
http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista_64bit_197.25_beta.html (64 bit)

You shouldn't actually need these... are you running the beta or a modified/cracked EXE?

I don't want to revert back to the former drivers because then I won't be able to play Crysis, not because I have a beta or cracked version of the game. So would the links that you provided be compatible with my video card, which is a Geforce GT 130M(I made a mistake on my original post and I couldn't find the edit button). Your guys input have been helpful.

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 11:51:54 PM »
I don't want to revert back to the former drivers because then I won't be able to play Crysis, not because I have a beta or cracked version of the game. So would the links that you provided be compatible with my video card, which is a Geforce GT 130M(I made a mistake on my original post and I couldn't find the edit button). Your guys input have been helpful.

Perhaps we should start at the beginning. Why was Crysis not working with your previous driver? Were you getting some kind of error? It's a considerably older game than SC2 and so it theoretically should run fine on most newer drivers, including a driver that would run SC2 fine.

Reading more into it, this causes crashing like the error message mentioned here, low fps and/or overheating, but should only affect the beta version of the StarCraft 2 game.

That was an issue the GeForce 200 series cards and the beta version of Starcraft II. It has nothing to do with the version he has now or even with his card. It was a fix designed to correct random flickering and crashes on those cards specifically. There is nothing I've seen so far that would lead me to believe that his issue is at all related since he isn't using a 200 series card, isn't playing the beta version, and isn't experiencing random flickering or random crashes but specific crashes when he clicks certain buttons. Perhaps you should research your answers a little better before making suggestion that do not address the issue at all.

Azzaboi

Apprentice
  • Aaron's Game Zone
    • Aaron's Game Zone
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 12:53:33 AM »
anytime I press "Campaign" or "Tutorial" buttons the game crashes and gives me error file which I have attached
Has been reported by thousands of people using the newer nVidia drivers playing Starcraft II. It's a well known issue.

My information was troubleshooting based on the error message log provided.

ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xC0000005)
... means a memory address could not be 'read' by the game or graphics card.

Typically the following problems can cause this error:

Incorrect or corrupted drivers (number one reason) - Roll back drivers. Ensure drivers are compatible with OS (32 or 64bit) and graphics card. Sometimes graphic card drivers like nVidia release bug fixes for newest games. With nVidia they have latest game tweaks built into their drivers to improve performance, if the game EXE has been modified this might cause issues. Ensure no map hacks, tweaks, injection hacks (cheats, trainers), cracks (No DVD), etc have modified the EXE - else disabled the nVidia boost for those EXEs.

Corrupt/Blocked registry entry - Roll back drivers and attempt re-installing them. Make sure security software hasn't prevented the part of the graphic card drivers installation (software like Kaspersky will protect this area as it's high risk and will ask you while installing).

Malware or adware - Scan your computer for malious software which might be attempting to link into the game or driver(s).

Bad software updates (even windows security patches) - Roll back drivers and attempt re-installing them.

Bad RAM (Random Access Memory) Chips - hardware failure with the memory causing corruption. Run a boot disk memory check util to check for damaged / bad ram sticks and replace them with compatible ones if required.

I don't know about the GT 130M Graphics Card, but according to NotebookCheck, the GT 130M cannot do hardware PhysX. Where did you get those PhysX drivers for it? If it's a thrid party or a modified 'force tweak' version remove it. Note it will boost fps with high end graphic cards using hardware, but using software PhysX when you have a low or a medium end GPU like the GT130M if enabled in game, the fps might drop hugely - it's sometimes best to leave the physics to CPU in this case.

Try this nVidia Driver (260.99 - 126 MB):
http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-win7-winvista-260.99-whql-driver.html
This includes PhysX System 'Software' 9.10.0514 which should still support Crysis as well as play SC2.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 01:20:12 AM by Azzaboi »
Aaron's Game Zone

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 08:48:16 PM »
Has been reported by thousands of people using the newer nVidia drivers playing Starcraft II. It's a well known issue.

Well known. That's why the Blizzard Tech forums are buzzing with it.  ::)

Ironman, another basic question. Have you tried reinstalling the game? Might or might not help, but it's just another step we can eliminate.

Ironman

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Yes
    • My Personal Site
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 12:09:14 AM »
The updated drivers helped, thank you quaxo and Azzaboi for the help it was greatly appreciated.

Salmon Trout

8 posts by this spammer so far
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 03:32:20 AM »