Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can only bring up search engine four times, then I have to restart PC.  (Read 9526 times)

polecat

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Hello,  I have Windows XP SE2 installed in a Packard Bell imedia desktop pc circa.2004.  Its running a bit slow at the moment and has a fault which I cannot find in the forums. The fault is:       When I want to use internet I click on the  browser Icon first and then I click on (for example) the Google shortcut icon.  Everything is fine.  If I then come off Google it's o.k, I just click on their icon again. But I can only do this four times.
    If I try to connect to Google for the fifth time nothing happens. (The little timer symbol just appears for a second and then instantly disappears, whereas normally it remains on the desktop until the search engine loads). If I then want to use Google again, I have to do a restart first. Any one know what is causing this?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Can only bring up search engine four times, then I have to restart PC.
    « Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 01:12:06 PM »
    I don't understand why you are clicking on ANY desktop shortcuts once the browser is open. What happens if you click on Google in FAVORITES?

polecat

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 03:11:13 PM »
      If I am still online with search engine #1 and I go on to search engine #2 via favourites or whatever,
      I cannot then press the close button X at the top rh side of the screen and return to search engine #1.
      I used to be able to, but no longer. When the X button is clicked on, everything vanishes, and all that remains is the desktop. Also if I go online onto a banking site, for instance, I cannot return to the search engine by clicking on X.  It’s back to the desktop again. This is happening on about 50% of the websites I visit, (closing the site clears any search engine that’s in use and it’s back to the desktop.)
      This is an awkward fault to describe and I’ve got no idea why it’s doing this. It not a huge problem to put up with, but having to restart after every fourth search engine callup attempt is ridiculous.

reddevilggg

Expert

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 03:15:31 PM »

Which browser you using?
      11 cheers for binary !

polecat

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 03:21:33 PM »
        Firefox

reddevilggg

Expert

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 03:28:09 PM »

Have you tried unistalling firefox then reinstalling?

Also, why not 'windows update' to SP3, first, its not gonna rectify your firefox problem, but it will make your system a bit more stable.
        11 cheers for binary !

polecat

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 03:47:52 PM »
          Have you tried unistalling firefox then reinstalling?

Might give that a try tomorrow. Did not suspect that could be causing the problem(s).

Also, why not 'windows update' to SP3, first, its not gonna rectify your firefox problem, but it will make your system a bit more stable.

Not too sure about this, tried updating to SP3 couple of years back, and a few things started playing up (usb flash memory keys stopped working etc.) so I removed it and reverted to SP2. Also have been thinking about doing complete reinstall of Windows, and do not know if this is the best time to do an SP3 update. Read something recently saying something about not deleting SP2, risky or whatever. Any views on this?

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 03:50:44 PM »
          Don't know what you mean about "deleting sp2". You don't delete a service pack to upgrade to a new one. And if you do in fact format and reinstall then you absolutely should install SP3, not sp2 (you can do a slipstream of the upgrade to a new cd and use that for the installation).

reddevilggg

Expert

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 03:59:42 PM »

You do not remove SP2 when updating to SP3, it goes 'over the top' of it.

My XP CD came with SP2 and i installed SP3 and have had no problems at all.
          11 cheers for binary !

polecat

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 04:19:10 PM »
            So when I upgraded to SP3 and then undone it...............yes, I've got it now.  (Sorry, my lack of knowledge.)
            Would upgrading then uninstalling SP3 have created any gremlins in the original SP2?

Don't understand what you mean by do a slipstream of the upgrade to a new cd and use that for the installation.

Also, is Firefox the likely culprit?

Allan

• Mastermind
            « Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 04:20:33 PM »
            Instead of asking if Firefox is at fault, have you tried another browser (IE, Opera, Safari)?

polecat

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 04:25:32 PM »
              No

Allan

• Mastermind
              « Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 04:26:17 PM »
              Take your time, we'll wait.

polecat

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2010, 04:41:28 PM »
                Won't try changing browser until tomorrow, as I need to back up bookmarks etc. Can you suggest a  good browser?  Not IE.
                Thanks for help so far.

Allan

• Mastermind
                « Reply #14 on: October 28, 2010, 04:44:40 PM »
                IE is built in. Just open it and let us know if you have the same problem.