Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP- Networking...  (Read 2261 times)

Giga

Topic Starter

Rookie
  • Giga
    XP- Networking...
    « on: August 03, 2005, 03:52:41 PM »
    Ok so right now on my network, theres 2 wired computer to the wireless rounter and 1 laptop accessing wirelessly.

When I got my computers, I simply plugged everything in and my network was "set", I didn't even set anything and everything was perfect.

In school, I was learning about how to set up network and crap using 98 where everything had to be set so...

The network's name and folder and stuff right now has like weird numbers and letters and the only thing it's sharing is the internet connection. How do I set it so we can share printers etc.?

What else should I set? How does one set it so one PC can access another? Also, the "Shared Doc" folder is stored where?

And last, the Wireless Router right now isn't set or anything (don't know if it need setting) so I'm pretty sure anyone can access it nearby. How to you set it so only so and so can access it and whatnot?

Also...

I go to view workgroup computers and there was 3 units, one being mines. I rename my computer and now the new name AND the old is there, how can I get rid of it?
    « Last Edit: August 03, 2005, 04:05:36 PM by Giga »
    Windows XP - PD 2.8 Dual Core - 1GB of RAM - Radeon x300 SE

merlin_2

Giga

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Giga
      Re: XP- Networking...
      « Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 05:32:26 PM »
      Could I get both questions answered?

Also...

Theres 3 computers on my network, one computer is downloading crap and its slowing the other 2 significantly, is it possible to stop the slowdown or reduce it? (Online gaming and online surfing slows.)
      Windows XP - PD 2.8 Dual Core - 1GB of RAM - Radeon x300 SE

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005, 05:49:55 PM »
      The following article should shed light on networking:

How Home Networking Works

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2005, 08:13:28 PM »
      Giga:

I find that troubleshooting works best when taking it one problem at a time and taking each problem one step at a time.  

Please consider choosing one problem and explaining it in some detail.  Once our suggestions solve that problem, let us know.  Then we may tackle the next one.

Has your problem with file and printer sharing been solved, yet? or is there another problem you want to solve first?

Regards,
      Doc