Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop can't connect to AT&T Uverse Wireless  (Read 12510 times)

BigSteezy

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Laptop can't connect to AT&T Uverse Wireless
    « on: November 05, 2010, 11:10:59 AM »
    Computer is Dell inspiron 14 with windows 7 and what I assume would be standard features (of interest, Dell 1397 Wireless G Mini-Card, according to Dell's website).  Just moved in to a new place which has AT&T Uverse wireless internet and the computer will not connect to the internet.

Normally, when using the automatic internet connection, after selecting a network a window pops up in the bottom right hand corner of the screen stating 'Connecting to internet...' and then will be replaced by a window asking for a security key.

When trying to connect to this network, it says 'Getting information from 2WIRE315' followed by a message saying 'Windows was unable to connect to the network'.  Normally when there are problems it will offer to run a troubleshooting program but it does not offer it in this case.

Security encryption is WEP.  I thought this might be the issue since all the wireless I had used in the past were WPA2 encrypted (and they worked fine).  However, my computer is picking up weak signals from other WEP encrypted networks and when I ask to connect to those they ask for a security key, seeming to indicate that my computer can connect with WEP networks.  I tried manually connecting to the network specifying that it was WEP and that didn't work.

I know that the wireless device is working because I am using it to write this on my friend's laptop (which runs Vista), and I am getting the wireless on my Blackberry (just connected it to the Uverse wireless today, so I know I have the right password).

Anyone seen something like this before / know how to fix it?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Laptop can't connect to AT&T Uverse Wireless
    « Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 05:53:16 PM »
    ...'Getting information from 2WIRE315' followed by a message saying 'Windows was unable to connect to the network'.  Normally when there are problems it will offer to run a troubleshooting program but it does not offer it in this case...
    2WIRE315 must be configured to allow access to your Dell inspiron 14.

BigSteezy

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: Laptop can't connect to AT&T Uverse Wireless
      « Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 12:46:59 PM »
      hmm must have made a mistake on the encryption type, it was WPA2 and once I tried to manually connect to it under that designation it worked fine... I'm an idiot.