Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My computer wont go past the Compaq screen.  (Read 7881 times)

jayray

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    My computer wont go past the Compaq screen.
    « on: November 05, 2010, 11:15:45 AM »
    I have a Compaq computer running windows vista with the latest service pack (sorry i don't know model). I had 2GB of RAM & a 200GB hard drive. (basically one of those computers you can buy at wal-mart for 700 bucks a couple of years ago.) As far as antivirus software, all i had was microsoft security essentials.

All I did was fall asleep with skype running and when I woke up the next morning the screen was frozen. Now that I think of it it must have froze that same morning because I had some messages that I wouldn't have gotten in the middle of the night. Anyway, the computer was frozen so I pulled the powercord out from behind it  :-\ And when I tried to turn it back on, it wouldn't go past the Compaq screen (where it says <f10=setup, esc=bootmenu, f11=system recovery etc>) and the keyboard was not responsive. And also the keyboard lights were not on like they usually are.

The only health problems my computer has had in the recent past is that I got the Antivirus 2010 virus about a month ago, but I got rid of it with malwarebytes and made double sure by checking the registry for all of its known files or w/e. Anyway, I need this comp! It has a lot of my school work!  :'(

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: My computer wont go past the Compaq screen.
    « Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 01:00:52 PM »
    Did you try Safe Mode?

jayray

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 09:26:17 PM »
      my keyboard is not responsive! how do i get to safe mode without a keyboard!?!  >:(

Broni

Mastermind
        • Computer Help Forum
      « Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 09:37:05 PM »
      I got the Antivirus 2010 virus about a month ago

Read here: http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html
      Start new topic here: http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/board,7.0.html
      Do NOT post any logs in THIS thread.

Simply state, that your computer is not bootable.

jayray

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 09:47:32 PM »
        I found out that my computer is the Compaq SR5000 model and that my HD is a Seagate 360GB, if that makes a difference. Anyway, I fiddled with it today and have concluded the following:
        -There is nothing wrong with my keyboard, it works on other computers.
        -there is nothing wrong with my processor, it works on other computers. (I dont know why I checked it, I was fiddling)
        -It is not likely that there is anything wrong with my harddrive... my rational is because other harddrives yield the same result of an ever present Compaq screen.
        I plugged in and pulled out a bunch of different things to see what happens, and after all of that, the above are the only things I learned.
        Any ideas would be appreciated.. except the safe mode one. :P And I'm not seeing the connection between my computer not starting and having to look at a malware removal guide, Broni. I got rid of the virus with Malwaybytes. Why do i need this guide for???

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        « Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 09:49:13 PM »
        I got rid of the virus with Malwaybytes
        Probably not totally.
        Often, when there is one infection, there is more...

Sykes

Beginner

• Nice Guy :)
          • Tricks Guide
        « Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 12:16:35 AM »
        Hi,

If you are getting stuck at the <f10=setup, esc=bootmenu, f11=system recovery ) screen, then it is the Compaq Logo screen. If system hangs at this point, the issue will not be related to OS because this Menu is shown much before an OS loads. Your issue is basically "MY computer hangs at BIOS/Compaq Splash Screen).

Have you checked whether you can get in to BIOS (f10=setup) or can try clearing CMOS etc by removing battery.

cheers

Have a good day

My Blog: http://www.tricksguide.com/

Sykes :)

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        « Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 08:35:50 AM »
        -there is nothing wrong with my processor, it works on other computers. (I dont know why I checked it, I was fiddling)
        You actually removed your processor and tried it in other computers?   :o