Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: SwKotor 1 problem  (Read 21848 times)

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
    Re: SwKotor 1 problem
    « Reply #30 on: August 12, 2005, 02:57:14 PM »
    Methinks Merlin_2 was trying to get the last word in...
    ;D
    "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

Raptor

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2005, 05:29:04 PM »
    Methinks Merlin_2 was trying to get the last word in...
     ;D

Woudln't surprise me. Most likely looking to increase his post count.

Have you removed the previous drivers and has everything gone as it should?

Raptor

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2005, 07:44:46 PM »
    And what exactly is twaddle, my friend? We are all entitled to an opinion and I would like to hear yours.

So far, you have only given opinions that are engineered to vex me. They contain no truth or facts.

How much longer am I going to have to endure your pathetic attempts? Please do tell me. Apparantly, ignoring you is not the key.

.so  i will have a break for you to take over?

I knew this was the issue. As soon as I reached 7k posts, you become more active and hostile.

Do you think this is your backyard? I don't see any dogs barking when you tell 'm to.

This is a public forum, pal. Posting is a privilege, not a right and you certainly do not have to guard your throne. Not trying to be the king of the hill, if I were trying to, I would constantly doubt and seek arguments with everyone. Do I? No. Only with you because I very much doubt your so called "humble" advice.

Moan, moan, no such thing as an expert, we do not live long enough moan moan

If there is no such thing as a PC expert, why do you think I am trying to take your place? If we can not be experts, there is no reason for me to try to excel you.

By (trying to) start(ing) a discussion with you, I have allready excelled you. I sought correction, but did not find any for your can offer none!

« Last Edit: August 12, 2005, 08:09:33 PM by Raptor »

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

Definition of "Twaddle"
      « Reply #33 on: August 12, 2005, 09:36:21 PM »
      Just went to www.encarta.com. I found the definition of "Twaddle" Here it is:

twad·dle [ twódd'l ]

noun

Definitions:

nonsense: nonsensical or pretentious speech or writing ( informal )

Meaning merlin_2 is talking garbage talk, and is therefore a "twaddler".

BTW Raptor, as I've said, I'm hung up away from home for a week. (No, I didn't plan to be away from home. I've been trying to get help with my card for months, and wanted to be there.) I apologize for that. At least I can sit back and know that some "experts" are only experts at "twaddling"  ;) ;) [Edit] Just learned that I will go home in 7-8 days. Good. I'm tired of being hung up when I get good advice after searching for months for the answer![/Edit]
      « Last Edit: August 12, 2005, 09:45:06 PM by Timothy_Bennett »

Raptor

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2005, 08:21:03 AM »
      I can not guarantee that removing drivers or doing anything else will make the game run smooth at that certain point.

I play GTA:SA and there is one point in the game where the game becomes sluggish even though there is no noticeable difference in the environment.

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2005, 11:14:29 AM »
        That is EXACTLY my problem!! It looks the same, but is impossible to play, because it seems to be .005 FPS.

Frame...
        Frame...
        Frame...
        Quit Game!

Raptor

« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2005, 12:27:26 PM »
        Yep, darn bugs.  ;)

You can try using software such as 3DMark 2001 to determine if certain textures or features cause problems with your videocard or system.

merlin_2

« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2005, 06:26:32 PM »
        software problem.........not hardware......

Raptor

« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2005, 03:36:53 AM »
        software problem.........not hardware......

Thanks for you input. Drivers are software.  ::)

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2005, 09:14:05 AM »
          OK. Where would I find different drivers that will be compatible with an NVidia, but aren't NVidia drivers themselves?

Thinking for a sec...I do believe it could be the texture. I had less severe problems near that area, like a black hole of framerate. ;D

You see, there are about 8-9 areas with the same texturing in that "world". The first is an "entrance" to the place with my biggest problem. As my character entered this "entrance", I noticed the same problem. However, my game allows me much freedom in rotating my Point Of View (POV, for any newbies out there). So, I can go the same direction even when looking at my character run toward or away from or to the side of my screen. So, I oriented my view so I could just look at a brick wall, and my character running and me seeing just his left side. Oh, joy. But at least my FPS was decent again.

So, I had that problem, but I could just change my POV. Now, I got near the spot I'm posting about, and the game's walls curve in like this: ) ( So, I see a dramatic improvement of my FPS. (Like false hopes, no?) So, I enter the trouble area, this first time without knowing there would be a problem...

Now, the game likes to "fade in from black" whenever I change what "area" I'm in. So, normally, it takes 4-5 seconds to regain control of my character as it smoothly fades in from black. This time, however, it is black for one second, then it slowly fades in, and definately NOT smooth. It is the choppiest I've ever seen any game. Finally, the area is revealed...

It is a WIDE, OPEN space, and there aren't any walls to look at. (Besides, there's dangerous creatures on these plains, and you do NOT ever turn your back to them if you want any chance at winning this game). When I move the mouse to change orientation and look around, the view "jerks" after a whole second, where it would normally take about 0.000002 seconds to do that. So, it's basically an area of wide plains textures, with a few poorly rendered trees. That's all I see.

So, that's my story. I haven't played that game in a month after that. So, yeah, it's the textures, and I hope a new driver can work (If i can find one)
          « Last Edit: August 14, 2005, 09:16:27 AM by Timothy_Bennett »

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2005, 10:51:49 AM »
            You can try using software such as 3DMark 2001 to determine if certain textures or features cause problems with your videocard or system.

Instead of reading my LONG story, just know that it is a 95% chance of it being a texture.

Frame...
            Frame...
            Frame...
            Quit Game!  
            Posted by: Raptor Posted on: Aug 13th, 2005, 12:27pm
            Yep, darn bugs

The "quit game" part was my choosing. The game would have been content to leave me in utter frustration, just so you know. The game didn't crash.

Raptor

« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2005, 07:37:15 AM »
            There are tweaked drivers available for ATI video cards. Some fan boys must have done the same for nVidia videocards.

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2005, 09:56:03 AM »
              But how do I find them? Do a Google Search for "Tweaked NVidia Drivers"? And how in the heck can I make sure they do what I want, and that none have viruses attached? I'll do what I have to (I didn't pay $49.99 for the game for nothing) but I want to make sure what I'm doing is right.

Raptor

« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2005, 10:03:38 AM »
              I am not certain. I know that ATI tweaked drivers are called DNA or something similiar. I tried them once.

You should look on overclocking forums and ask there.