Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Quota - Windows Server 2003  (Read 7157 times)

joshpsylow

Quota - Windows Server 2003
« on: November 02, 2010, 05:16:30 PM »
On a Windows Server 2003 machine that I am administering, some employees have ceased using the system. In the quota entries for the hard drive on the server, it states that a user has a total of 1.09GB of files on the server.

In their My Documents folder, they have 500MB of files. The rest of their files are spread over the server in many folders.

Is there and easy way in which I can find all the folders and files owned by the user on the server and remove them?

normativacons1110

Re: Quota - Windows Server 2003
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 10:02:59 PM »
Hi,

If you have quotas enabled on a Windows file server, you may need to locate where all the files a user owns are to work out why their quota just keeps going up and up (and up)…

FSUtil in Windows Server 2003 can do just that (and a lot more). Use the following syntax to find all files owned by a specific user:
fsutil file findbysid <userid> <path>

Userid can be the user’s windows login and the path should be the base directory, it will recurse through sub-directories. Script it up a little and you can get a decent report of quota usage by path.

There is a whole bunch of file server administrative tasks that can be scripted using FSUtil. Very, very good.

Also There's a small utility that searches based on owner or SID at http://www.grimadmin.com/staticpages/index.php/file-owner  and lets you export what it finds to a comma-separated text file... It is an exact match for your requirement but you need to delete them manually..

Also, this tool (delybown.exe) looks cool, though i haven’t tried it but if it works as advertised would definitely be useful.

Regards,
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 10:19:47 PM by normativacons1110 »