Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Local drives and remote drives  (Read 7584 times)

Salmon Trout

Re: Local drives and remote drives
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2011, 10:42:58 AM »

geoffl

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #16 on: January 29, 2011, 04:59:18 PM »
    Thanks for all that. We have a small business.18000 inventory lines, 200 debtors, 50 creditors. We do stock control, sales, program tells us how much to bank, puts this through to our balance sheet, tells us what we owe, who owes us how much, tells us how much money we have made, how much GST we have collected, how much  tax we need to pay at any time, all in 1 program on 1 screen. all without an accountant.
    There are 2 apps written for our line of business that I have looked at. Both have a "wish list" If u would like to do some particular thing tell us & if enough other users want it sometime down the track we may write a program to do it. These do not include any financial program so you have to use something like MYOB as well.
    If my staff say they want a different report or change the way something works, usually I go in the neat day & load it up -  the way they want it.
    I thought that NTVDM was for running MS-DOS programs. are you saying it is going to disappear?

mroilfield

Mentor
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #17 on: January 30, 2011, 12:00:02 AM »
    Thanks for all that. We have a small business.18000 inventory lines, 200 debtors, 50 creditors. We do stock control, sales, program tells us how much to bank, puts this through to our balance sheet, tells us what we owe, who owes us how much, tells us how much money we have made, how much GST we have collected, how much  tax we need to pay at any time,

If this is what you need the program for you obviously haven't looked at very many programs before you decided none of them would work for you. Heck you can build an excel spread sheet that will cover what you want. There are thousands of companies that collect the same type data you do and I am sure they don't all rely on an old DOS based program. Heck the company I work for collects the same type data you do but we do it for over 130 different drilling rigs and over 30 different offices and I can guaranty we have a more updated system.

The systems are there if you actively look and are willing to let go of the past. Since I have been with this company we have gone thru several mergers and changed our programs a few times and I can tell you that each time a change was made not many people wanted to embrace it but once the did they realized that the change was good and couldn't ever see their selves going back to the old system.

If you are the one attached to this old program then you need to assign some one else to find a replacement. you already have a biased opinion of what ever software you look at and this negatively affects what you think of anything new.

If you want your business to continue to flourish and grow then your software needs to also grow with it. It would be really sad for the operating system of a company to be the cause of its closing. Do you honestly think all the long standing major companies out there are still operating on the same systems they started with years ago?
    You can't fix Stupid!!!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    « Reply #18 on: January 30, 2011, 08:39:24 AM »
    I thought that NTVDM was for running MS-DOS programs. are you saying it is going to disappear?
    The NTVDM is becoming a thing of the past, you'll see less support as time goes on; in fact, it's non-existent in x64 Windows Operating Systems which is going to be replacing x86 over the next several years for most consumers.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

geoffl

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2011, 03:02:12 AM »
      Hi,
      Thanks for all your comments - I really have taken them on board. I think you are a little hard on me. I do not think that I am clever to do what I have done. I have been lucky enough to find people that are clever enough  to show me what to do. They maybe hacks but It is a real buzz to see something work which is not supposed to. (As you get older you need more buzzes)
      If this disappeared tomorrow I could ring a guy here who would - in 3-4 days install his system which would work fine (not how I would like it) - but I would loose my hobby. I am 60 years old and I know I got caught in a little world all of my own but I have had a lot of fun. In 1985 we were producing balance sheets while our accountant still used a pencil.
      It is not critical to our business but after 25 years, it is part of my life I do not want to loose. I have looked at things like data flex but it is too complex for me. I have about 300 programs and to start again from scratch in a language you are battling to understand is not possible for me.
      Maybe you guys should be wary. Given the advances of the last 25 years, what is going to happen in the next 25.
      There maybe these young people saying to you - A PC what's  that - internet - how obsolete.
      Thanks for your input
      Geoffl

geoffl

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2011, 03:29:23 AM »
        Has no one got any thing else to say?

geoffl

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2011, 03:06:01 AM »
          Hi,
          Someone suggested I should use FTP for accessing remote drives. Does this work differently?
          Regards
          Geoffl