Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer running hot...  (Read 6540 times)

Spuz1

Computer running hot...
« on: August 11, 2005, 09:55:06 AM »
Hello,

First, I tried to do a search for this on the forums here but I kept getting “Page Not Responding,” so sorry if it has been posted before.

My computer seems to be running hot. On idle it runs about 61-61C, I have read that this isn’t too hot for an AMD processor while I have also read that this is way to hot. I am very confused. Is 61C too hot or not?
I also noticed that while playing battlefield 1942 for about 15 minutes the temperature goes up to 67C. And I have all the graphical settings on low.

I haven’t experienced any crashes yet except for when battlefield lockup on me the other day, I had to restart my computer by holding the button on the front of the tower. I don’t know if that had to do with the CPU being too hot or not.

I have opened up my case and saw some dust on the fan and the heatsink and tried to get as much off it as I could with some canned air and it didn’t make a difference.

So is it running too hot? And if so what else can I do to try and fix it?

I have an AMD Athlon XP 2200+ Processor
768 MB RAM
Nvidia GeForce4 MX 440 64 MB video card
And a 400 watt Antec PSU.

Any help is appreciated. :)

Frankie

Apprentice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    Re: Computer running hot...
    « Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 10:54:27 AM »
    If i was you i would get some case fans. I have one that blows in from the side and one that sucks out at the back. My AMD runs at 41c idle and 47c running battlefield 2. I would say yours is hot, even for an AMD.

If its not possible to fit any fans in your case. I would get a better Heatsink and fan for your cpu. and use Artic silver compond.

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005, 11:27:21 AM »
    My computer seems to be running hot. On idle it runs about 61-61C, I have read that this isn’t too hot for an AMD processor while I have also read that this is way to hot. I am very confused. Is 61C too hot or not?
    I also noticed that while playing battlefield 1942 for about 15 minutes the temperature goes up to 67C. And I have all the graphical settings on low.

I play Battlefield 2 by using an Athlon +2800 XP at 2.079 Hertz.  The temperature is approximately 64-67 degrees Celcius with a Cooler Master heatsink/fan and Arctic silver. Case temperature is approximately 40-42 degrees Celcius. 50 degrees Celcius without two case fans sucking air out.

I haven’t experienced any crashes yet except for when battlefield lockup on me the other day, I had to restart my computer by holding the button on the front of the tower. I don’t know if that had to do with the CPU being too hot or not.

Probably not. EA games are rather unstable. Especially when playing online.

I have opened up my case and saw some dust on the fan and the heatsink and tried to get as much off it as I could with some canned air and it didn’t make a difference.

Will not quite make a difference if the airflow is obstructed, but you should remove dust on a regular basis.

So is it running too hot? And if so what else can I do to try and fix it?

No. You can, however, look into additional cooling. Cooler Master is an excellent brand. The cooler the computer parts run, the longer their life expectancy.

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005, 04:51:14 PM »
    Mismatched ram.........

Spuz1

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 01:04:04 PM »
    Thanks guys for your help.
    I’ve come to the conclusion to buy a new fan for my computer.

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2005, 02:58:42 PM »
    Thanks guys for your help.
    I’ve come to the conclusion to buy a new fan for my computer.

A new CPU fan? Make it a Cooler Master or Zalman. Also be certain to obtain Arctic Silver and apply it properly (Do not rely on standard instructions, but search for a thorough and detailed guide)

You may also wish to add two case fans that suck out if your case temperature is high. Do note that case fans make a lot of noise and if you use the computer for something other than gaming, I would not bother. The noise will become a frustration.

Spuz1

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2005, 03:54:25 PM »
    Yeah, I’ll probably get a new case fan and a CPU fan.

Thanks for the heads up about Arctic Silver. Somebody recommended that to me and I would have just gone by what the instructions told me to do with it.

Mismatched ram.........

Why do you say that?

merlin_2

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2005, 05:20:01 PM »
    768 MB RAM ? mismatched ram= more heat..........
    « Last Edit: August 12, 2005, 05:23:40 PM by merlin_2 »

Raptor

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2005, 05:28:05 PM »
    I would have just gone by what the instructions told me to do with it.

Most CPU coolers seem to come with their own CPU paste allready applied. You can use this as well, but it is most likely not as efficient as Arctic silver or other high quality paste.

And on just what do you base that?
    « Last Edit: August 12, 2005, 05:28:28 PM by Raptor »

Raptor

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2005, 06:39:07 PM »
    well work it out!

My, my aren't we being arrogant?

I am not going to work out jack. I want you to tell me. Actually, I demand that you tell me.  

And please, try to make sense. Not all of us have been dropped on the head at birth.
    « Last Edit: August 12, 2005, 06:40:14 PM by Raptor »

Raptor

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2005, 06:56:45 PM »
    Once again, you fail to get to the point.

Still no explanation. You jumped the gun, but couldn't hit the broadside of a barn.

Raptor

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2005, 07:35:00 PM »
    Maybe i dont play games like battlefield/ castle wolfenstein/cannon fodder/ but real life itself?I like a nice game of chess

Do you always *censored* yourself out of situations? You must run a lot in life!

Raptor

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2005, 07:54:39 PM »
    no comprende

You revolt me.

Raptor

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2005, 08:19:56 PM »
    Simple dont reply fool!

You call me a fool and you expect me not to reply?

Nice derailing of the topic. Your inability to answer a simple question, to which I have still not received an answer and may keep the original poster in doubt,

Quote:

And on just what do you base that?

has caused this topic to become a battleground for our arguments.

You should think twice before doing so again. It is after all not I who is the fool here.

Mrjcwhite

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2006, 08:08:44 PM »
    my aunt once said that depending on setting you ram will do that but i can't remeber what settings