Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cant Boot Up = *censored*.  (Read 5901 times)

WTF

Cant Boot Up = *censored*.
« on: August 13, 2005, 03:02:42 AM »
HELP!!! yesterday my computer was still working fine. then today when I turned it on, it resets itself in a few seconds. i cant get it to boot up. I know theres nothing wrong with connections cuz its always been working fine. I go to BIOS and i found that my Maxtor harddrive has a weird name, something like " Maxtorv687v8''''''''''''' "(not the exact thing) I cant remember what it used to be but I dont think its that. my primary master is a western digital ATA100 200G HD and my primary slave is Maxtor ATA 133 60G and my secondary stuff are a DVD rom and a CDRW.

then I realized that the only way to boot up, is to disconnect eveyrthing, including my disk drives, except the western digital HD (which has winXP installed) and set it as a secondary drive, then it will boot up. its weird. now I am doing that and that means I cant use my Maxtor HD, my cdrw, and my DVD.

*censored*.

Raptor

Re: Cant Boot Up = *censored*.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2005, 08:11:36 AM »
Try resetting the BIOS to the default values.

You might also want to download diagnostic software to test your Hard Disk Drive.

wrwss

Intermediate
  • PITTSBURGH,PA.
    « Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 10:35:03 AM »
    Try a different ide cable for the harddrives. Were the optical drives working properly? Try the optical drive cable on the harddrives and see if it will now recognize them. Sometimes when the cable goes bad it cannot read the disc so it gives it a generic name to try to load it.
    WRWSS

gfjgil

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 01:35:45 PM »
    ya right now I am connecting my optical drive cable to my HD, and everything else is disconnected, the HD is now a secondary drive and I can boot up. but as long as I connect any optical drive or the otehr HD, it cant boot up. *censored*.

wrwss

Intermediate
    • PITTSBURGH,PA.
      « Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005, 02:42:05 PM »
      How are the jumpers set? Cable select or pri and slave? If not try setting them as such and make sure you put them on the correct cable locations. Let us know how you have them set and the specs of your machine
      WRWSS

Frankie

Apprentice
      • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
        « Reply #5 on: August 13, 2005, 03:15:02 PM »
        I may have read wrong but are you saying that nothing is working while connected to IDE Master and Master slave, if so have you tried just for testing purposes that the IDE is ok, try to install windows on the maxtor while its hooked up as master.
        « Last Edit: August 13, 2005, 03:30:04 PM by Frankie »

asd

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2005, 05:35:53 PM »
        the jumpers are cable select I believe.

asd

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2005, 05:37:14 PM »
        thing is, my comp has always been working, until yesterday, I dont udnerstand.

Fed

• Sage
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #8 on: August 13, 2005, 05:42:11 PM »
          Can you start in safe mode? F8

merlin_2

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2005, 05:49:53 PM »
          So many name changes it hard to reply?

asd

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2005, 02:14:17 AM »
          someone told me my mobo could have been busted, but if thats the case why is it able to boot with one secondary drive. and I dont understand why my mobo should be busted. this sux...

ASD

Re: Cant Boot Up = *censored*[email protected]
          « Reply #11 on: August 14, 2005, 08:36:51 PM »
          any ideas?  :'(

Frankie

Apprentice
          • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
            « Reply #12 on: August 14, 2005, 08:43:33 PM »
            If you have tried resetting the Bios and changed the IDE Cable. The only thing i belive you can do now, is try to install windows on the maxtor Drive this will tell you if the Motherboard or the IDE Slot on the Motherboard is Faulty.
            « Last Edit: August 14, 2005, 08:44:01 PM by Frankie »

asd

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2005, 08:59:29 PM »
            .umm..but  my computer wont even start. how do I install windows on the HD. besides,  i will have to format it in order to do so....

asd

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2005, 09:00:54 PM »
            oh great, now its worse. it doesnt reset anymore but it doesnt boot either, and theres nothing on the screen for some reason. I cannot do anything now.