Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Trouble with USB,s  (Read 5591 times)

smckinley

Trouble with USB,s
« on: June 27, 2004, 05:26:26 AM »
Hi from this new member,

I have 4 USB ports, and although I can use a microphone, printer and broadband  through them when I connect my Fuji Finepix 201 camera or my Sony Handycam I get no message to say "New Hardware Found"
Running Windows 98SE my computer has all the requirements to use these perephials but alas I have no joy?
I have unistalled the software and reinstalled, I have made sure the camera equipment is set to the right set up, I have gone into bios and found USB set to Legacy, I have changed the different ports for each item and still no message. On device manager all the ports are working but I did find a yellow question mark with unknown digital camera next to it.
Please someone help me or I am going to sell this technology and buy myself a BROWNIE!
Cheers Steve

Raptor

Re: Trouble with USB,s
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2004, 07:38:43 AM »
That could buy you a lot of brownies. I've never had a brownie.

Did you click on the question mark and has it shown you what the error is?

What version of USB does your computer support?

http://www.computerhope.com/help/usb.htm

This might be of use.

Note that the CD that came with my mainboard has 2.1 USB drivers. You may have to download these from your mainboards manufacturer website. If you are not sure, contact their tech-support.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2004, 07:41:30 AM by Raptor »

smckinley

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2004, 08:07:22 AM »
Thankyou Raptor for your speedy reply. unfortunateley the computer was built for my company by one of these Jim,l fix it companies in the small adds column, bad mistake but it seemed like a bargain at the time, the only thing I can tell you about the USB,s is that in device manager it says Stadard Open HCI USB Host Controller, however when I click on the power tab it shows the name of my Lexmark printer on all 4 connections? is that right should I disconnect my printer and unistall or will is there a chance that if I do this I wont be able to reinstall it again. I didn,t click the question mark and when I disconnected the camera it disapeared, by the way although I have done a short college course on computer maintainance I am not a wizz kid, perhaps I should go back to the builder and plonk it on their desk.
Cheers Raptor Steve

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2004, 08:35:20 AM »
Contact your mainboard's tech support and see if they can send or point you to a patch for the 2.1 USB support.

I have no knowledge concerning printers and I have not got much experience with digital cameras.

You should wait for the more experienced members to post, they might be able to help you further.

MalikTous

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2004, 10:14:38 AM »
One suggestion is to get a real NIC and get your broadband off the USB ports. USB can bottleneck your broadband, and it is not the ideal networking environment adapter for Ethernet Internet.

Is your mainboard a VIA chipset one? You may need to update your USB drivers.