Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: defrag help  (Read 8350 times)

ppbab

defrag help
« on: August 19, 2005, 11:07:50 PM »
I have win98. Each time I try to defrag it stops at 2% and never completes. I followed all the steps in q/a as well as let it run through the night but there was no change. Is there something else I can try or is something damaged?       ppbab

Windows98

Apprentice

• Proud user of Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: defrag help
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 11:10:31 PM »
In wondows98 you are suppose to run scandisk first to check for errors, yes it will reset and tae an eternity but that is the only way defragment can work. Defragment also runs a basic error scan before it defragments. I think you can disable that feature but I dont remember how. As soon as it finds no error then it will defragment. Anywhere from 0% to 4% is checking for errors on the Hard Drive

ppbab

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2005, 11:16:46 PM »
That was the first way I did it through the maintenance wizard but it never completes it. Am I correct to say that once it completes the task it will say completed? Should I let it run for another day or two to see if that will work?   ppbab

Windows98

Apprentice

• Proud user of Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2005, 11:24:46 PM »
Well the problem with defragment is any application that runs it will reset automatically. Also you cannot run these applications in safemode  :( So the best thig for you to do is first close out every application you can that you dont need running. Close any task bar applications that also run ex. messangers, ram monitoring system. Virus scan is ok to remain on. Firewall should be fine. But all those un nessary programs close them all out. Also if you uninstall programs you don't need anymore it helps out. So try leaving the computer idle when defragmenting. Right click on the screen and properties. Adjust your power so it will not turn of hard disk or go to standby if idle to long. Also choose screensaver to none. turn off monitor wont affect it but stand by hard disk and screen saver will. It is hard because you are trying to do anything to prevent change in infomation on your computer. And try to prevent interferience at the same time

Mac

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2005, 02:54:33 AM »
The '98 defrag.exe is rather slow even when it does work. Better to download newdefrag.zip which is the Windows ME defrag and which runs much faster.

Rename the defrag.exe you have now to defrag.old and unzip the ME defrag into the same folder.

Use CCLeaner to remove old files from your system so that you are no defragmenting junk files and see if the new defrag.exe runs.

If not you can boot into safe mode and run both ScanDisk and Defrag.

You can also use Diskeeper Lite which does a much better job and shows you your entire drive on one screen.

DISKEEPER LITE

You should always maintain 15% free-space on all drives for defrag to run.

NEWDEFRAG.ZIP

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2005, 10:12:21 AM »
I have win98. Each time I try to defrag it stops at 2% and never completes. I followed all the steps in q/a as well as let it run through the night but there was no change. Is there something else I can try or is something damaged?       ppbab

Try scanning in safe mode.

ppbab

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2005, 05:48:53 PM »
Hey, I'm still trying to defrag. I downloaded a Registry Mechanic Cleaner 5.0 and after I ran it, it said that it found 280 problems. How do I know which ones to fix or delete. I don't want to cause more problems. Did I download the wrong thing? What is Newdefrag.zip and how do I get it?  ppbab

Fed

• Sage
    « Reply #7 on: September 03, 2005, 05:50:51 PM »
    Start a new thread.

ppbab

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2005, 06:04:53 PM »
    okay, so how do I do that?

Fed

• Sage
      « Reply #9 on: September 03, 2005, 06:06:36 PM »
      ppbab, I'm sorry, I thought you hijacked this thread.
      My mistake.  :-X
      Carry on.  :)

Fed

• Sage
        « Reply #10 on: September 03, 2005, 06:08:27 PM »
        Have you tried defragging in safe mode yet?

ppbab

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2005, 06:11:28 PM »
         Alright, don't kid an old lady.   smile

Fed

• Sage
          « Reply #12 on: September 03, 2005, 06:13:28 PM »
          Mac posted a link for newdefrag.zip above.
          « Last Edit: September 03, 2005, 06:14:08 PM by Fed »

ppbab

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2005, 06:13:32 PM »
          yea i tried every advice given. i'm thinking that i have too many programs but i'm not sure about which ones to delete.

Fed

• Sage
            « Reply #14 on: September 03, 2005, 06:15:24 PM »
            Do you have the recommended 15% free space on your drive?