Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Vibrating Lines on Monitor  (Read 3824 times)

jmiller623

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Vibrating Lines on Monitor
    « on: April 25, 2011, 06:22:01 PM »
    My monitor has vibrating lines all across the screen as if it is stretched out. It happens after the monitor has been turned on for 20 minutes or so and goes away if I turn it off and on again. The system still works properly (if I click on an icon it still functions). The lines seem to be worse on the sides. I don't know how to post pictures but I have images of it. Please help. What could cause this to happen?

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Vibrating Lines on Monitor
    « Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 07:04:28 PM »
    When you reply to this, you can click on "Additional Options..." and it will drop down with a place to attach a file (700kb limit, so if the image is larger than that you'll need to shrink it).

Is this a CRT or LCD screen? (If you don't know, CRTs are the larger, older type monitors and LCD are the newer, flat-screen monitors.)

It sounds like to me that either the monitor is dying (most likely) or the video card is dying (less likely, but possible). There might be other possibilities, like overheating of the video card, but we'll see after viewing that picture.

Lumpy44

Beginner
      • Yes
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 07:48:54 PM »
    Ive heard of some speakers and or other monitors being too close to each other causing some sort of interference in the screen output. Shot in the dark but who knows.

jmiller623

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 10:21:58 PM »
      It is a Sony LCD that came with my Vaio desktop.

[recovering disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 10:23:07 AM »
      Is that the whole screen that's blurry or just the picture? If it's just the picture, I'm not seeing the problem.

jmiller623

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 10:49:53 AM »
        The whole screen is blurry. Its like it is shifted in pieces. Here is a comparison.

[recovering disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]

quaxo

Guru
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 11:04:38 AM »
        I know what it should look like normally. My question was if your photo was blurry or if the screen was blurry. It's impossible to say from that picture though, it's just just not clear enough for whatever reason.

Try swapping out the monitor with another one (if available). If it works fine, it's the other monitor. If it doesn't, it's either the cable or the video card.