Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Iomega zip 100 - how to unprotect  (Read 14059 times)

SR

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Iomega zip 100 - how to unprotect
    « on: April 27, 2011, 06:36:22 PM »
    Hi..

I have been using the iomega zip 100 discs since 1999. It remained my main mode of saving my work files and personal files for about 4 years. Whenever I upgraded my computer I would transfer the zip drive with it so that I could have continued access to my files. Previously when I right click on the drive there will be a password protect function. My last upgrade for that particular computer was to a Celeron processor running on Windows 98. this particular computer sits in my spare room and was not used regularly. Recently I decided to transfer all my zip drive files to an external hard disc but found that the computer failed to work.

I sent the computer for repair and upgraded the processor and Ram and OS to XP. Following that the zip drive still worked but when I right clicked, the password function is not there and I am unable to access my zip drives anymore. Zip drives that were unprotected works fine.

Can someone please help. Thanks.

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Iomega zip 100 - how to unprotect
    « Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 10:01:39 AM »
    According to Iomega's website, you have to have their software installed in order to open password protected disks. Have you installed their software yet?

From their website: (I've removed some irrelevant bits)
    Read/Write Protecting Zip Disks

IomegaWare software includes a special read/write protect feature that allows you to:
        Write protect a disk through software instead of with a mechanical write-protect switch.
        Write protect a disk and assign a password so that no one can add, edit, or delete files without entering the password first.
        Read/Write protect a disk so that it cannot be read from, or written to, unless the user enters the password you assign.

Setting Zip Disk Protection under Windows

Insert the disk you want to protect into your Zip drive.
        Open My Computer and right click the Zip drive icon.
        Select Protect from the drive shortcut menu.
        Select the protection option you want to use. Click the Help button if you need information on any of the options.

NOTE: Although Zip disk protection options are set and removed using IomegaWare software, the actual protection mechanism is secured in the drive hardware. This means the disk protection cannot be by-passed using other software programs.

You can download the software by following this link, selecting your product, then your operating system.

SR

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 12:50:37 PM »
      Thank you so much... I am going to give it a try and let you know how things go....

SR

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 10:34:04 AM »
        Hi... I managed to retrieve my data. Many thanks