Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Linux Mint Julia install  (Read 4030 times)

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

Linux Mint Julia install
    « on: May 02, 2011, 11:33:04 AM »
    I am getting ready to download and install the above noted O/S on a Compaq Presario desktop with win xp home currently on it. I note from research that if one desires to install Linux (Ubuntu specifically) on an external HDD it will require a formatting of the HDD with the resultant loss of all previous material on the drive. This would be my 1st choice of location for the install however i do NOT want to transfer (backup) or lose the material already on the drive. Is this also a limitation with Mint Julia? If i were to install it on the internal HDD would similar issues arise with the data already there? I note that there are many versions of Mint Julia 32bit/64bit/etc. Why would i want one version over another and what would be the most desirable version to download/install? thank you,truenorth

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Linux Mint Julia install
    « Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 12:07:33 PM »
    A picture is worth...

The second option will install it in a windows directory. My owon experience indicates that performance is still good.
    The advantage of this is that you can be sure all you data is preserved and there is no need to adjust partitions. Unless you just want to.