Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PC always starts up in "Unidentified Network"  (Read 4751 times)

xxXplicitP

Topic Starter

Rookie

PC always starts up in "Unidentified Network"
    « on: May 30, 2011, 01:54:13 AM »
    Lately, one of my PCs running Vista has been connecting only to "Unidentified Network" upon start up. The only way I can restore the Wifi connection is to manually reboot the modem and router.

It is only happening to this PC. My iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, and other Laptops/Desktop Running Windows 7 connect just fine. The one running Windows Vista is having the problem and this was just recently. No programs or changes were made to this computer recently. I tried manually assigning it a specific IP address, but it still would start up to the Unidentified Network. My SSID is broadcast and is on a WPA Security which is compatible with the wireless adapter.

It is using a Linksys Wireless G with SpeedBooster Wireless Adapter.

The Router I use is a Linksys E3000 and my ISP is Comcast.

Any help would be appreciative. Thanks!

Vinu

Rookie

Re: PC always starts up in "Unidentified Network"
      « Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 03:29:23 PM »
      Could you please let me know the Encryption technic used with WPA encryption mode. Is it TKIP or AES?

xxXplicitP

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 03:44:13 PM »
        Could you please let me know the Encryption technic used with WPA encryption mode. Is it TKIP or AES?

To be Exact it is a "WPA2/WPA Mixed Mode" as TKIP.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 01:04:33 AM »
        Have you tried using ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew under cmd prompt then rebooting the computer?

Vinu

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 01:47:20 PM »
          Ok, try to manually add the network or creat new network profile and also check the Ip address on the vista computer. Do perform ipconfig release and renew process on the command prompt.

xxXplicitP

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 03:21:30 PM »
            I have tried the ipconfig /release and renew but while it is on the Unidentified Network it doesn't have an IP address that will make it work.

I did try manually adding the Network and it doesn't work.

Although now my Wifi Adapter was connected to a USB extension cord and I took that out and plugged the Adapter directly to one of the Motherboard USBs and its working so far. So hopefully it was the cord or it might be the Adapter.

Vinu

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 09:22:39 AM »
              Alright, it seems the issue was with the extension cord. I suggest you not to use the extension cord.

Have the wireless adapter connected directly to the USB port on the computer.

:)

xxXplicitP

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 01:47:44 PM »
                Alright, it seems the issue was with the extension cord. I suggest you not to use the extension cord.

Have the wireless adapter connected directly to the USB port on the computer.

:)

Looks like it's wasn't the cord as the problem came up again. I'm beginning to think it's the Wifi adapter since this is the only PC connected Wirelessly that is having the problem.

Vinu

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 10:06:53 AM »
                  Ok, try installing the wireless adapter on a different computer to isolate the issue.