Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: print from dos  (Read 2110 times)

mooseye

Topic Starter

Rookie

print from dos
    « on: May 30, 2011, 05:34:11 PM »
    I am trying to help my cousin get his old dos program to print thru his new setup. It was working with a network setup with two desktops, one running 98i and one on xp. He upgraded to a laptop with win7 and the printer is on a usb port.
     The laptop running xp with the dos program on it will print if the printer is directly connected to it, but will not print from the dos program. It will not print at all thru the network.
     I am not sure exactly what to ask. I have tried the net use command with the printer connected to the win7 lappy with no result. I have not tried it with the printer connected to the one with the dos program.
     Idealy, I would like to keep the printer connected to the win7 unit and be able to print from both and the dos program but it would be acceptable to connect it to the one with dos just when he needs to print something from that unit.
     I guess I need to go back and try the net use method with the printer connected to the xp machine.
     I know I just pretty much answered my question but I thought some brain child might be able to guide me to a better solution.
     Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: print from dos
    « Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 12:53:50 AM »
    Have you read this:
    How to print to a network printer from an MS-DOS-based program in Windows XP
    Maybe it will help or give you some ideas.