Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Microosoft Installer  (Read 4098 times)

xonkie

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Microosoft Installer
    « on: June 06, 2011, 02:17:25 PM »
    Hi Guys

Newbie and hoping someone might be able to throw some light on a problem which is causing some concern.
    My operating system is Windows 7 Home Edition 32-bit
    Being what can be considered a novice, I don't quite know how to resolve the problem but I suspect that MSI is  corrupt. I just don't quite know how to perform any operation in order to confirm whether it is installed or not. Where can I  find any details which refer to MSI.

What task can I perform in an effort to check.
    Any info required only too happy to forward.

Tks

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Microosoft Installer
    « Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 02:23:03 PM »
    What makes you think the installer is corrupt? Please describe the problem you are facing in detail.

GlitchPC

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 03:21:06 PM »
    You may find the following Microsoft Knowledge-base Article useful:  How to troubleshoot problems that may occur when you install, uninstall, or upgrade a program on a Windows-based computer

Make sure you read the article completely.  It gives you a brief introduction, as well as symptoms and resolutions based on the error message you may be receiving.

You would be wise to answer Allan's reply, though.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 06:50:35 PM »
    Howdy Bud...Long see...no time...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

GlitchPC

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 12:17:23 AM »
    Hey, patio...just hangin' out.

xonkie

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 03:02:54 AM »
      What makes you think the installer is corrupt? Please describe the problem you are facing in detail.

Hi Allan

The problems which have caused me some problems recently.
      1. Updating Skype latest version
      2. Updating Real Player Plus latest version

With Skype the update completes and during process of installing the following occurs (as per attachment)
      Furthermore I wrote to Skype informing them of the situation and rcvd response with some instructions which have not resolved situation.
      Their response below

*For Windows Vista and Windows 7***

3.   Tick the box next to Run command and click OK > Apply.

4.   Go to Start > Run...

5.   In the Open box, type msiexec /unreg and click OK.

6.   Your Windows Installer box will appear; click OK.

7.   When this is complete, go to Start > Run..., type msiexec /regserver in the Open box and click OK.

8.   Your Windows Installer box will appear; click OK.

9.   When the process is complete, reinstall the update.

***For Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7***
      If you are still having problems please try to reinstall and/or update your Windows Installer:
      http://www.microsoft.com/downloads

unquote

Attachment also shows what transpires when carrying out the process msiexec /unreg

unquote

As far as Real Player is concerned the situation is somewhat different but could also involve MSI

I got indication that there was an update and during the process of carrying out procedure, the following occurred
      Download was no problem but during installation process it suddenly stopped at 50%. Low and behold everything disappeared.
      Real Player icon on desktop was missing, also no indication of program in Programme Files.
      I have been in contact with them but unable to resolve problem. I was informed that it might be a registry issue and they might not be able to assist further. I can either contact Microsoft or try to install former version of Realplayer. 
      Experiencing problems trying to install former version.

Hopefully you are able to get a clearer picture of  my predicament.

Hi GlitchPC

Your info very informative. Tks. Will respond to Allan

You may find the following Microsoft Knowledge-base Article useful:  How to troubleshoot problems that may occur when you install, uninstall, or upgrade a program on a Windows-based computer

Make sure you read the article completely.  It gives you a brief introduction, as well as symptoms and resolutions based on the error message you may be receiving.

You would be wise to answer Allan's reply, though.

[recovering disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 05:40:01 AM »
      The error says the Windows Installer SERVICE cannot be accessed. Go to Start - Run - and type: services.msc (press ENTER). Check to see if Windows Installer Service is set to either Automatic or Manual. If not, set it to one of those and then START the service. Then try to install something that needs the Windows Installer.

You can also download and install the latest Windows Installer (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942288)

xonkie

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 11:32:23 AM »
        Hi Allan

Unfortunately could not complete your request due to fact that Windows Installer Service not located in the list. I t/4 moved on to site mentioned for downloading the Installer.
        Having perused the site I am of the opinion that I should be downloading Windows Installer 5.0 bearing in mind my system is windows 7 Home Edition 32-bit.
        Before doing so can you be kind enough to confirm that is correct?  I would hate to know that I have downloaded the incorrect version.

Awaiting
        Tks

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 12:20:53 PM »
        The fact that you don't have Windows Installer service is a problem. Yes, download and install 5.0

xonkie

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 04:00:15 PM »
          Hello Allan

Apologies for being a nuisance but as of now I have not managed to do the installation. Reason is that I am having difficulty understanding certain things as mentioned in the quote/unquote below which I came across

Windows Installer 5 is not available as a standalone version and you can either download Windows 7 SDK Web installer or the Windows 7 SDK ISO file. The advantage of the web installer is you can choose to install any subset of the SDK. It however requires you to be connected to the internet. The ISO file is a complete package and it can even be installed on a computer not connected to the internet

unquote

I get the opinion after reading thru the article that the program at some stage was installed but it is obviously no longer.

If possible can you explain what SDK / ISO mean and perhaps you can provide me with a link for the actual download.

Thanks
          Xonkie

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 04:06:48 PM »
          To be honest, I wasn't aware of that. You know what, let's try sfc /scannow (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833)

xonkie

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 03:19:58 AM »
            Performed scan now and result as per attached. Honestly don't know but get the impression result is inconclusive . Don't know how to continue but I am somewhat stuck in understanding exactly how to enter the command syntax mentioned where it says to determine which  files could not be repaired by the System File Checker tool, follow these steps.
            e.g. findstr /C:''[SR] cannot repair member file'' %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt
            Hopefully you understand where I am mean

[recovering disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.