Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hard Drive can't be taken out on my Sony VGN-SZ583N  (Read 7760 times)

slickcondo

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    Re: Hard Drive can't be taken out on my Sony VGN-SZ583N
    « Reply #15 on: June 30, 2011, 09:03:11 AM »
    Thanks for your reply.

I don't think there is any differences between regions as far as how a hard disk drive comes in.

I've tried to see some picutures from eBay and Amazon, and those that I can see shows there is a black plastic part. But I was given a dead hard drive that was replaced in another laptop with just the pins shows and no plastic part that is inserted into the pins. Thus my question as to which.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #16 on: June 30, 2011, 10:02:44 AM »
    I suspect your hard drive is the one shown on the right:

The "black plastic part" is an adapter for the flexible ribbon cable.

slickcondo

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2011, 03:44:54 AM »
      I suspect your hard drive is the one shown on the right:

The "black plastic part" is an adapter for the flexible ribbon cable.

Hi,

Thanks for the great pictures. They sort of clarify my question although if I were to prise apart the black plastic part on the SATA drive,(as I did on the one I just took out and in the process damaged a few of the pins),  it would look quite similar to the IDE drive show on your pictures.

But thanks for the clarification and btw, great pictures that shows clearly what I wa asking.

Thanks for the clarification to my quesiton.

slickcondo

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2011, 07:12:41 AM »
        Couple of last questions before I commit to a purchase.

1) anyone has any recommendation as to the brand in terms of performance and relability ?

2) is there any difference between a 500GB and a 320GB apart from its storage capacity ? I'm talking here in terms of speed and performance if both have the same 5400rpm ?

Thanks

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        « Reply #19 on: July 01, 2011, 12:48:35 PM »
        1) anyone has any recommendation as to the brand in terms of performance and relability ?
        2) is there any difference between a 500GB and a 320GB apart from its storage capacity ? I'm talking here in terms of speed and performance if both have the same 5400rpm ?...
        Are you saying your drive is SATA?  The "black plastic" on the SATA drive is NOT removeable.
        1) Seagate or Western Digital
        2) No difference.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #20 on: July 01, 2011, 06:46:12 PM »
        2) is there any difference between a 500GB and a 320GB apart from its storage capacity ? I'm talking here in terms of speed and performance if both have the same 5400rpm ?...

The two drives have the same specs. If the maker says so.
        But the storage capacity does make a deference. in performance. The specs can be the same. But the specs are fort he  given storage capacity.

Let's say you have a 320 GB drive with 310 GB on it. And you have a 500 GB drive also with 310 GB on it. In real world use, the overstuffed drive will start to thrash because the OS can not find large open areas for large files. But the drive with more free space with get work dome quicker. But both have the same specs. Except for capacity.

slickcondo

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2011, 01:05:04 AM »
          Are you saying your drive is SATA?  The "black plastic" on the SATA drive is NOT removeable.
          1) Seagate or Western Digital
          2) No difference.

Yes, my drive is a SATA. I removed the black plastic by really prising it apart with a flat head screw driver. It left quite a few marks on the plastic where the screw drive prised it apart and a few of the pins were bent. One fell off the hard drive.

Thanks for (1) and (2).

slickcondo

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2011, 01:07:19 AM »
            The two drives have the same specs. If the maker says so.
            But the storage capacity does make a deference. in performance. The specs can be the same. But the specs are fort he  given storage capacity.

Let's say you have a 320 GB drive with 310 GB on it. And you have a 500 GB drive also with 310 GB on it. In real world use, the overstuffed drive will start to thrash because the OS can not find large open areas for large files. But the drive with more free space with get work dome quicker. But both have the same specs. Except for capacity.

Thanks for your view and example.

I've purchased a brand new 500GB drive with a 3 year warranty on eBay, given that the cost of the 320GB is only about GBP5-00 cheaper.

Many thanks,