Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hard Drive can't be taken out on my Sony VGN-SZ583N  (Read 7761 times)

slickcondo

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    Hard Drive can't be taken out on my Sony VGN-SZ583N
    « on: June 26, 2011, 11:01:40 AM »
    Hi everyone,

I'm new on here and I hope I have posted this in the right place and that someone can help me.

I am trying to remove the hard drive of my Sony VGN-SZ583N ( Asia model number), but it seems something is stopping it from being lifted up or slide to the right and being lifted up. I have already removed the 3 screws of the hard drive holder.

I suspect the ribbon cable need to be disconnected first before the hard drive can be taken out. But I am not sure how to do this as there seem to be 3 possible places that I could try,
    The first is to prise apart the black plastic part that is directly connected to the hard drive.
    The second is the thin plastic strip that is after the black plastic part furthest away from the hard drive. This seems to be holding the ribbon cable on top of the black plastic part and
    The third is the other end of the ribbon cable that sits on top of a small black plastic square which is attached to the motherboard/printed circuit board. If is is this place, should I just lift up the ribbon cable or both the ribbon cable and the black plastic square so that this comes out of the motherboard/printed circuit board ?

I have goggled and searched for articles and videos for the past few days trying to find something that is clear on this, but all that I found are not clear and not specific. Is there any article or videos that shows this clearly ? On has anyone done this before and could advise ?

Any help that anyone could give on this will be greatly appreciated as I am stuck. I worry I am prise apart the wrong part and thus damaging the connectors/ribbon cable.

BTW, the operating system I am using is Windows XP Pro with SP3, with IE7. This model originally came with Vista Business installed, but I downgraded it to XP and was running fine till I tried to do a fresh reinstall and I got no hard drive detected message. I got the same message for all the 4 tries I did to do a fresh reinstall which leads me to suspect either the connection to the hard drive is loose or the hard drive is fried. I hope I have given enough information here. Otherwise, please don't hesitate to ask.

Many thanks for your help and suggestions.

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Hard Drive can't be taken out on my Sony VGN-SZ583N
    « Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 01:42:13 PM »
    On all laptops that I have seen you remove a couple of screws holding the drive bracket in place, you then slide the drive away from the connector and once that has released, lift it out of the system.  You will then need to remove the bracket from the drive and re-attach it to the new drive.

slickcondo

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 07:20:43 PM »
      On all laptops that I have seen you remove a couple of screws holding the drive bracket in place, you then slide the drive away from the connector and once that has released, lift it out of the system.  You will then need to remove the bracket from the drive and re-attach it to the new drive.

Hi and thanks for your reply. Apologies for not getting back to you sooner as I did not received a notification for some reason that I have a reply even though my setting is to receive a notification by email.

In any case.....what you described is what I expected. But let's go back on step and that is removing the cable attached to the hard drive, which is my question as I am not sure which of the 3 alternatives I've stated in my original post that I should take. I think this have to be done first before the drive can be lifted out due to the lack of space the hard drive is positioned and also the cable is short. Do remember that this is a ribbon cable which is pretty fragile.

Any idea as to which of the 3 alternatives I should take to remove the ribbon cable to disconnect the hard drive first ?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 08:50:53 AM »
      Sony has Owners Manuals in Pdf format on their support site.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      « Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 11:15:34 AM »
      I can find none for that model:  http://www.sony-asia.com/support/product/vgn-sz583n

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 11:46:02 AM »
        A Google search produced 231 hits in .10 sec. The 1st 3 were your posts on 3 different forums. The 4th was this "http://www.metacafe.com/watch/377396/how_to_replace_hard_drive_on_sony_vaio_vgn_s260/ ' Hope it helps,truenorth

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        « Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 02:41:10 PM »
        That's a different model:  Sony VAIO VGN-S260
        OP's looks quite a bit different.  But it could be the same procedure.

slickcondo

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 11:27:05 PM »

Owner manual is basic and does not show you how to service it. I have the service manual from somewhere else, but it does not make sense to me as to answer my questions.

slickcondo

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 11:31:26 PM »
            I can find none for that model:  http://www.sony-asia.com/support/product/vgn-sz583n

Apart from Owner manual which tells you how to use the laptop and does not show you how to repair/service it, I have also written to Sony Asia and all they recommeded is to take the laptop to one of their service shop.

slickcondo

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 11:34:51 PM »
              A Google search produced 231 hits in .10 sec. The 1st 3 were your posts on 3 different forums. The 4th was this "http://www.metacafe.com/watch/377396/how_to_replace_hard_drive_on_sony_vaio_vgn_s260/ ' Hope it helps,truenorth

Correct ! I have posted on several forums after not having got answers to my questions in one for over a week already. But so far, I still have no definite answers from any of the forums.

The s250 model has a very different layout from the one I have. I have seen this video on the link you posted a week or more ago before I here. But thanks.

slickcondo

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 11:36:07 PM »
                That's a different model:  Sony VAIO VGN-S260
                OP's looks quite a bit different.  But it could be the same procedure.

Thank you. You are absolutely correct. It is a completely different model and has a different layout altogether.

BTW, what does OP stands for ?

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 09:12:46 AM »
                  O/P= Original poster=you, Persevere we will help you solve this.truenorth
                  P.S. Just had an idea. Presuming that you are still in Asia--contact by phone a local repair shop that tells you they are familiar with that Sony model. Tell them you need to replace the HDD and while you can access it you cannot remove it. Could they tell you what is the proper procedure so you can take it out and bring it in for a replacement. You might encounter a helpful technician.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 07:11:05 PM »
                    Just found this link. Hope it helps.
                    http://home.comcast.net/~nw_systems/vgnSZ.pdf
                    truenorth

slickcondo

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 07:15:55 AM »
                      Just found this link. Hope it helps.
                      http://home.comcast.net/~nw_systems/vgnSZ.pdf
                      truenorth

Thanks truenorth, for both your replies.

Apologies for not been here for the past few days. For some reasons, I did not get any notifications that I have replies here. Just came here today to check it out and saw your replies.

No, I am no longer in Asia. I am now back home in UK.

I've also came across the link you gave in your latest post and it's been very helpful especially the HDD chapter. I have since managed to removed the ribbon cable from the motherboard end and after that, the hard disk drive comes out easily !!.

Now for the next question.

On the hard drive, after I disconnect the ribbon cable from the hard drive side after taking it out, there is still a black plastic part that runs across the base/top of the hard drive where the hard drive pins goes into it. Do I need to transfer this to the new hard drive or does the new hard drive comes with this plastic part attached ? I had some difficulties removing this plastic part, having to prise it from the metal part of the drive with a flat head screw driver. Does this black plastic need to be moved to the new hard drive or the new hard drive comes with this ? I have seen picture where this plastic part is with the new hard drive and pictures where the hard drive just shows all the pins without this black plastic part inserted into the pins.

Many thanks for your help.                                                             

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2011, 08:19:54 AM »
                        Your last question has put me in the deep end of the pool. As i am sure you can appreciate ones knowledge re your question would be largely influenced by knowledge of that particular computer.As it is an Asian model it would not normally be in the possession of users outside of that area (you of course being an exception). In my research on your behalf there were numerous cautions about trying to 'prise" off plastic parts due to probable damage (they being very fragile). If it were i i would order the replacement and see if it does include the black plastic cover. Or if the supplier has a communication facility (phone-e-mail) prior to ordering inquire about that concern. I hope that your being out of the region of use is not going to be an insurmountable obstacle to obtaining the desired part.truenorth