Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Why do we still use DOS today?  (Read 9305 times)

ymaldonado

Why do we still use DOS today?
« on: June 27, 2011, 06:05:32 PM »
why do we still need DOS today?

aoresteen

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Re: Why do we still use DOS today?
    « Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 08:44:24 PM »
    I boot into pure DOS to run Partition Magic 8 to set up all my hard drives.  I find I get better control over the drive without Windows around.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Why do we still use DOS today?
    « Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 09:54:50 PM »
    why do we still need DOS today?
    Who are "we" in this case.
    Many who use DOS will never come here hand tell you why.The just use it in their work and it never occurs to them that they should change it.

To illustrate the point, consider vehicles. Autos the travel on highways must meet safety rules. Rules can change. But vehicles that do service off of any highway do not have to comply with new highway rules.

Many business users continue to run their accounting software on a DOS based system. The use it the same way, day after day. They make backups. They make print outs. They post invoices. The system is a part of their business operation. They never get on the internet. They never let anybody put anything on the business computer.

There are some very powerful implication programs the still run on DOS based systems. As long as the stay away from the public internet, they will continue to benefit from those old systems until the wear out.

And if they ever need replacement parts, they will pay extra just to get a 486 motherboard that fits the old case and runs they old software. No joke.