Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Gateway M6312 Laptop  (Read 2101 times)

wobbles

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Live everday as it was your last.
    • LauraCanFixIT.com
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Gateway M6312 Laptop
« on: July 07, 2011, 09:21:36 PM »
I have a Gateway laptop I am fixing for a friend. Its a M6312,
Their dog knocked it onto the floor and the LCD broke, I just replaced it with a brand new one. I started it up and I can barly see the screen, it is very dark. I tryed doing the FN key with the sun and it doesn't work. It looks like the backlight is not on. how do I go about turning it on. where would I find this.

Please help.

jer

Starter

• Experience: Guru
    Re: Gateway M6312 Laptop
    « Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 12:37:43 AM »
    I actually have a similar model -- the 6714 -- and ran across the same issue when I first got it.  When you say "sun" are you referring to the F8 key? (ie are you pressing Fn + F8 to try to brighten the screen?)  Not sure how yours is labeled, but if it's like mine then it's backwards.

Assuming Fn + F8 does not work, try Fn + Up* instead (unless, of course, Fn + Up is what you already tried, in which case try Fn + F8).  Incidentally, their counterparts are (usually) Fn + F7 and/or Fn + Down.

Hope that helps...   :)

* "Up" means the "Up arrow key" on the bottom-right of the keyboard.
    Not right now, Lumbergh, I'm kinda busy.

Lisa_maree

Re: Gateway M6312 Laptop
    « Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 02:09:08 PM »
    Did you also replace the small board at the bottom of the screen. If not, it's possible the power supply (inverter) for the back light is also faulty.