Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Rebame Administrator, improve security?  (Read 7188 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Rebame Administrator, improve security?
« on: July 23, 2011, 05:04:34 PM »
This is not a new idea. But maybe new to you. It has been said that the built-in Administrator could be a security weakness. In view of ever-present Mal-Ware attacks, maybe this could help a little.
This will show you how to rename the built-in Administrator account name to a name you like instead to be displayed in the log on screen and Start menu in Windows 7. You can have better security by not using the same default name as everyone else to log in with.
Windows 7 - Built-in Administrator Account - Change Name
Does this really matte?

Somewhere else I saw a post from an IT guy who said he longed several unknown attempts to try and log into the Administrator account of PCs on the local network. How could that be? Would not the firewall block external anti-authoritarianism traffic?

If that is so, then we should be using hard user names for all accounts and no more Alex,  Bill,  Bob , Jame, Mary and E.T. as user names.

Salmon Trout

Re: Rebame Administrator, improve security?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 05:18:23 PM »
Rebame? Ca veut dire quoi ?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 05:24:11 PM »
Myth: Renaming this account prevents hackers from finding it

Myth: Renaming this account prevents hackers from finding it

Myth: Renaming the Windows administrator account prevents hackers from finding the account.

Basically, in summary,

it's a myth

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 05:25:52 PM »
Somewhere else I saw a post from an IT guy who said

Somewhere in a toilet I saw written on the wall...

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 06:52:17 PM »
Rebame? Ca veut dire quoi ?
Ooui.
Rebame
Cela signifie pour répéter un mensonge au sujet d'un objet ou une personne

reddevilggg

Expert

• Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 05:06:02 AM »

J'espérais qu'il a dit: 'Si je commencer à utiliser le correcteur orthographique, vous arrêtera ridiculiser mes messages', mais hélas
11 cheers for binary !

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 05:18:00 AM »
J'espérais qu'il a dit: 'Si je commencer à utiliser le correcteur orthographique, vous arrêtera ridiculiser mes messages', mais hélas
Ce que vous avez dit est une bonne idée.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 05:28:40 AM »
Comme c'est paradoxale - geek est tellement nul en anglais, (bordel !) mais j'aime bien ses efforts en la langue de Voltaire

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, 08:39:12 AM »
I had to look up these phrases in translate.google.com
GOOGLE TRANSLATE NOW produces IMPECCABLE english. I mean...

I am going to announce that Google Translate is now ABSOLUTELY PERFECT IN THE TRANSLATION OF THE RESPECTIVE LANGUAGES OF VOLTAIRE AND ANGLAIS. I am going to write a book titled "On the impeccable PHP-driven translation of the Languages of Voltaire and Anglais." It will be a bestseller.

In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

Salmon Trout

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 09:14:52 AM »
Interestingly the translator copes with less-than-perfect French. Par exemple - en français, on s'arrête de faire qqch. (On cesse de faire la chose) Et beaucoup plus pire, le verbe est mal, il aurait dû écrire:

vous vous arrêterez de ridiculiser mes messages

Transfusion

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2011, 10:36:51 AM »
Son anglais est imparfait, pour commencer, évidente par son utilisation de "Rebame." ::)
Les Allemands ont résolu les problèmes de langue il ya longtemps avec Denglisch.
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denglisch
In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2011, 10:49:17 AM »
OK. Time to stop. I mus slept a word in the title. The slept checker does not check to title. An no, I do not speak french. My two languages are English and Spanish. And it toke years to learn Spanish.

As to the topic, I have wondered why this idea,
rename the administrator
has been touted as a security improvement. If so, one would think that Microsoft would have done some work to fix this in Vista and Windows 7. The idea is as old a Windows 2000, I thin k.

Maybe they cold have found 100 different words to mean 'Administrator' and thus frustrate the hackers . To some extent. They would randomly give a faux name based on product key. A graphic on the upper right corner would show the name in
John Handy LET font.
So the owner of the PC, if you had normal eyesight, would learn the faux name after seeing it day after day in the upper left corner.
Could I patent this?
Any comments?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 10:58:44 AM »
I've never understood this myth. How would renaming the administrator account increase security? Account names can be found out a *censored* of a lot easier than passwords, and you can reset any windows password using tools, So If somebody wanted to get access to your account, they just have to see the list of user names and their SePrivilegeLevel to know which is the "renamed administrator".

EDIT: also, I could have sworn I already posted this...
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Transfusion

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2011, 11:11:43 AM »
OK. Time to stop. I mus slept a word in the title. The slept checker does not check to title. An no, I do not speak french. My two languages are English and Spanish. And it toke years to learn Spanish.

rename the administrator
has been touted as a security improvement. If so, one would think that Microsoft would have done some work to fix this in Vista and Windows 7. The idea is as old a Windows 2000, I thin k.

Maybe they cold have found 100 different words to mean 'Administrator' and thus frustrate the hackers . To some extent. They would randomly give a faux name based on product key. A graphic on the upper right corner would show the name in
John Handy LET font.
So the owner of the PC, if you had normal eyesight, would learn the faux name after seeing it day after day in the upper left corner.
Could I patent this?
Any comments?

This entire thing is a load of *excuse my french*, no offense.
Seriously, what does the fact that the administrator account is named "Administrator" have to do with the rate of hackers accessing/attempting to access it? And is the rate of hacking attempts proportional to the rate of renamed Administrator accounts per, say, 10,000 users?
Quoting common sense: PLEASE put a password to protect your Administrator account. Create a separate account for other users who you do not trust and give them limited privileges. DEP would help too.
As for John Handy LET font and the user name... that occurs in the Start menu. You do not have to patent this. If the product key AND user account name were both changed, I, for one, would immediately suspect a problem.

rename the administrator
You can speak Spanish if it helps you convey your ideas logically... It would help if you could elaborate your ideas and incorporate common sense in them. Rename the Administrator. Mus Slept. It toke years to learn Spanish.

Transfusion

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2011, 11:17:12 AM »
I've never understood this myth.

So If somebody wanted to get access to your account, they just have to see the list of user names and their SePrivilegeLevel to know which is the "renamed administrator".
Me neither.

If I was intent on gathering your Windows passwords and had physical access to your PC, well, I'd go with ophcrack Live CD. I have successfully tested it on a win7 machine. Succeeded in cracking a 25 char password, generated with maximum entropy, included special symbols, in 2 min 1 sec. Pity I don't have a screenshot...
Ophcrack is a Windows Password cracker based on Rainbow Tables.[/size]
http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/[/size]