Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Come Back IE 8!  (Read 8317 times)

Salmon Trout

Re: Come Back IE 8!
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2011, 11:18:31 AM »
That 7 may NOT be better than XP in terms of maintenance and advanced features for the average user..

But the "average user" (whatever that means) just gets a basic operating system with no scary features they don't understand or need, while the power user pays more and gets the advanced tools they want. Or they get Linux which has all the advanced features anybody could ever want.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2011, 03:02:08 PM »
Or they get Linux which has all the advanced features anybody could ever want.
Yes, if you just need basic in internet browsing, a Linux box will do the job.
Exception: If you want Net flicks, you have to use the hardware or software they allow. 
As for me, I need the added features. But my post was about how users get annoyed with the frequency of  major updates to Internet Explorer.  Eight now I am using IE7, and MS tells me I should switch to protect my PC.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2011, 03:10:09 PM »
But my post was about how users get annoyed with the frequency of  major updates to Internet Explorer.
Do you not follow the frequency of major updates of other browsers?  I don't see IE as being any busier in that respect than other browsers in general.

Eight now I am using IE7, and MS tells me I should switch to protect my PC.
Well, then maybe you should switch.   ::)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2011, 03:27:46 PM »
my post was about how users get annoyed with the frequency of  major updates to Internet Explorer. 

yeha, isn't it just annoying that Microsoft is updating and making changes to their programs! Wasn't it so much better for IE when it sat dormant as IE6 for nearly 6 years?

That was sarcasm, by the way.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2011, 03:43:54 PM »
it sat dormant as IE6 for nearly 6 years?

You mean there's a version six?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2011, 03:49:26 PM »
You mean there's a version six?

Yes, and apparently there are people who prefer it, bless their hearts.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2011, 03:55:29 PM »
You'll be telling me there's another one of those "search engines" besides AltaVista next. (I mean apart from Dogpile.)

JAJsangel

Beginner
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #22 on: August 10, 2011, 05:16:40 PM »
    You'll be telling me there's another one of those "search engines" besides AltaVista next. (I mean apart from Dogpile.)
    actually there is. have you ever heard of Lycos?

Do you not follow the frequency of major updates of other browsers?  I don't see IE as being any busier in that respect than other browsers in general.
    I dont either really.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #23 on: August 10, 2011, 06:02:34 PM »
    Nobody ever mentions Netscape 4.7 anymore.   :'(

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #24 on: August 10, 2011, 06:39:00 PM »
    actually there is. have you ever heard of Lycos?
    He was being facetious.

Nobody ever mentions Netscape 4.7 anymore.   :'(

Aside from constantly crashing, the infamous "can't click links anymore until you restart the browser" bug, and The fact that there are Internet Explorer, Chrome, Opera, and Firefox to choose from that aren't abandoned software written for Windows 95 might be why.

Even for it's time- Nutscrape 4.7 blew.

First off, it doesn't support HTTP 1.1, has pathetic support form CSS and the DOM, it's javascript implementation is non-standard and crashy. Warranted, the former is forgivable since the standard wasn't created until after the implementation, but regardless of the implementation there is no reason to forgive crashiness on the scale it was. It's implementation of Java was downright pathetic, Nutscrape crashes on even somewhat complex websites (likely due to the aforementioned "crashy" javascript engine). It also does stuff that makes no sense, like reloading a form submission from cache. The server was supposed to provide dynamic content based on the form submission, but netscrape decided that since the URL was the same and regardless of the form submission it would just reload the same page from the cache. Pathetic. Even for it's day. Netscape 4.7 was slow. Slower than the equivalent version of IE, and all later versions for that matter. And of course FF and Opera and Chrome. Naturally, this only counts on newer systems that can run browsers that aren't brain-damaged. (IE6+, FF, Opera, etc). Not to mention Netscape was incapable of displaying a page until all images are loaded. Nowadays, this isn't much of a problem, but in the time it was popular(for some reason) this was just plain ridiculous. IE4 was miles ahead in terms of its ability to display text while graphics were loading, as well as the HTML/CSS standards present at the time, which netscape pretty much ignored until it was too late.

"So" you say- no problem! At least Netscape cared about their user base, right!

of course they did! See, after these problems were reported, they FIXED THEM ALL! you know how- not by actually fixing them- no of course not. That would be effort! They fixed them by adding a shopping button to the button bar. Mission accomplished! "Live with the bugs people! You now have a shopping button! yippee!"

immental1200

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2011, 01:14:11 PM »
    Yes, and apparently there are people who prefer it, bless their hearts.

I prefer IE6 to 7, 8 AND 9  :)