Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Stretched Display  (Read 2589 times)

vulpesvul

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Stretched Display
    « on: September 06, 2011, 12:23:42 AM »
    Ever since putting in a new graphics card (Nvidia GTS 450) my resolution has been stretched.  Previously, my 17" monitor displayed a 144 X 900 resolution perfectly.  Now, a 1440 X 900 resolution makes a perfect circle taller.  This is the native resolution for my monitor.  Every possible, displayable resolution either yields a tall circle, or a wide circle.  The best I can get is with 1280 X 1024 (slightly wide circle).  I've updated all drivers.  I have played around in the NVidia control panel, changing the scaling mode without any change, as well as looking through all the options in the windows control panel.  I have also changed my monitor's cable from VGA to DVI.  Interestingly, with a VGA cable, my computer thinks 1280 X 1024 is the native resolution of my monitor.  Still, either configuration gives the same result, a skewed picture.

Again, before the new graphics card, everything was fine on 1440 X 900.  Now, no possible resolution gives a picture that is not skewed.

Any and all help is appreciated, thanks.

hedgehog88

Beginner

Re: Stretched Display
      « Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 01:13:11 AM »
      Have you considered the the monitor itself?

Replacing a graphics card can cause complications resulting in instability if running with old drivers, even if you updated them. Furthermore, you cannot overwrite and/or assumed that those drivers will be stable with the new GPU. You say you updated all the drivers, but its recommended that you uninstall the drivers of the past GPU and install the new drivers from the manufacturers site, not Nvidia's site.

Try using Driver Sweeper to remove the old drivers and then install the new drivers for the new card.

vulpesvul

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 11:24:27 PM »
        Thanks very much for responding.  I downloaded driversweeper and reinstalled the drivers, but I am still having the same issues.

quaxo

Guru
          • Yes
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 02:33:45 AM »
        Have you considered the the monitor itself?

Check the monitor's on-screen menu and see if there's a setting for setting factory defaults.