Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Router / Access Point Advice Please  (Read 3750 times)

Allan

Topic Starter

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Router / Access Point Advice Please
« on: September 15, 2011, 05:53:23 AM »
At home I currently use an 8 port router. Seven of the ports are connected to wired devices and the 8th port goes to a WAP. The WAP is several years old and doesn't always start right up when plugged in (needs two or three tries to get it to "boot") and I'm considering replacing it. I've done a little research but would appreciate some input from someone more knowledgeable than I in this area (networking is certainly not my strength :) ).

1) I can't seem to find a router that combines a minimum of 8 ports with wireless capability. Is there such an animal?

2) There don't seem to be a plethora of choices for WAP's if I simply choose to replace that device.

Assuming I wish to keep the wired devices physically connected (as opposed to wireless) and still want wireless capability in my house, what options am I overlooking? Thanks much in advance.

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: Router / Access Point Advice Please
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 06:14:24 AM »
I guess the most convenient way would be a router...
1) I can't seem to find a router that combines a minimum of 8 ports with wireless capability. Is there such an animal?
Oh yes-I have tracked down that animal:http://www.bestbuy.com/site/D-Link+-+Wireless-N+Router+with+8-Port+Switch/1358425.p?id=1218252932868&skuId=1358425

If you still need more ports just hook up an ethernet switch (to one of the ports on the router.)
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Wired-Networking/Hubs-Switches/abcat0503012.c?id=abcat0503012
In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

Allan

Topic Starter

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 06:29:13 AM »
You know, I did several Google searches recently and could not find that router. Thanks :)

Allan

Topic Starter

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 06:38:54 AM »
One additional question. If I do switch routers (currently using a Linksys 8 port) am I correct that any currently assigned static ip address will remain intact and not have to be reassigned?

Allan

Topic Starter

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 06:43:30 AM »
Actually, after reading some reviews on that modem I think I may end up just replacing the WAP. I do appreciate the assistance though.

Transfusion

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 06:45:15 AM »
I assign static addresses to my computers through the router interface, not through Windows, because I have had issues with DHCP conflicts and "There is an IP address conflict on your network" in Windows. I am using a DIR-605 (only available in China), which is similar to the DIR-615 except it uses a Broadcom chip.

I would set the computers to automatically obtain IP addresses via DHCP, and then configure the router to send static IP addresses automatically whenever it detects the MAC addresses of the computers that you specify.
In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.

Allan

Topic Starter

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 06:56:55 AM »
I assign them through Windows, so it would seem my assumption is correct. But as I said above, probably going to stick with my configuration of wired router and WAP based on customer reviews. Again, thanks.

Transfusion

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 07:02:15 AM »
You're welcome :)

The newegg reviews on the DIR-632 are mixed-one user claims that it offers excellent reception and didn't need any restarts, was rock-stable-another user says it drops connections every few minutes... Probably because it is the first router of its kind-8 ports + Wifi.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 05:57:14 PM »
...I can't seem to find a router that combines a minimum of 8 ports with wireless capability. Is there such an animal?...
Only one I know of, I got about 6 weeks ago ago.  D-Link DIR-632.  Also has shared USB port.
http://www.dlink.com/DIR-632

You can connect a switch (or hub or router) to any router as Transfusion stated.  I needed a new router because I just got a wireless laptop.  The router replaced a Linksys BEFSR-41 4-port router, I suspect you have the -81.  The Linksys' have been around for many years and are very dependable.  D-Link has a good rep, too.  I had an older D-Link wireless that never worked right on wireless, but no problem wired.