Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: - Press DEL to enter EFI BIOS setting - FROZEN  (Read 31343 times)

Forge

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
- Press DEL to enter EFI BIOS setting - FROZEN
« on: September 19, 2011, 04:45:38 AM »
Hi,            [Specifications at bottom]

Last week I was going to install Windows 8. I had no CD ROM so I used a tool to mount it. It got mounted to Local Disc E, which is a partition of my HDD, which I used for Windows 7 before I bought an SSD.
Unfortunately, Windows 8 installed on my SSD and I had my old Windows in a Windows.old folder on my disc. Since I had no CD-ROM I had to wait, because I ordered one some days before this accident. When I got it, I used openSUSE Live Linux to fix this. openSUSE was booted from a DVD. I got to remove the Windows 8 files and replace them with everything in "Windows.old" folder. When I restarted, all the files were located at Local Disc G. I belive this is my SSD now, because it was 111,7GB (SSD is 120GB Corsair Force 3). I moved everything to Local Disc C, because my SSD was C before, but now I am not sure. C:\ is 100 GB now and I really have no idea what it is, I got 1 120GB SSD and 1 500GB HDD, so this is something else.
At C:\, there were 3 folders already. I don't remember the names unfortunately.
After moving the files, I restarted the computer. First it checks for the HDD. It says "No hard disc detected". This was normal BEFORE the accident, so this is not the problem. After that, the ASUS BIOS screen displays. It says - Press DEL to enter EFI BIOS setting -. Here it freezes. I can't enter BIOS, and I cant proceed. I've tried other buttons, Esc, F2, F8, F12, and all the other F buttons, without any result.

I have tried removing the RAM and taking out the CPU power and put it in, but it doesn't help.

My specifications:
Processor: Intel i7-2600K 3,4 GHz Quad Core
Motherboard: Asus P67 Sabertooth Socket-1155
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 12GB 1600 MHz
GPU: MSI Radeon HD 5830
PSU: Cooler Master GX 750W
SSD: Corsair Force 3 120 GB 550/510 read/write
HDD: Seagate 500GB
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932

The RAM, Processor and Motherboard is just a couple of weeks ago. Around 18. August I belive...

Can anyone please help me? :(

-Forge

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
Re: - Press DEL to enter EFI BIOS setting - FROZEN
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 04:55:40 AM »
By CPU power do you mean the Molex connectors on the motherboard or the PSU power connector?

I'm quite confused, to be honest... If you simply removed the Windows 8 installation and replaced everything with the contents of the Windows.old folder you shouldn't end up with another partition...? How did you manage to boot an openSUSE DVD from a CD-ROM?

Try booting without the CD-ROM, SSD, and HDD attached and see if you get an "System Disk not found" error to rule out a bad motherboard.

I'm thinking something went wrong during the file copy process and your partition table got destroyed or something along those lines.

There is an option to install Windows 8 alongside your main Windows installation-you shouldn't upgrade to Windows 8 just yet because it is a developer beta.
In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

Forge

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 05:08:33 AM »
I may know why you are confused. Well...

Nevermind the Processor power stuff, I just took the power from the CPU fan xD.

Windows.old folder had the old files, and I simply replaced it with the new files (Program Files, PerfLogs, User, Windows etc...). When I restarted, it sayd BOOTMGR is missing. Predd Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart. I think the problem was that the SYSTEM DISC was a disc which doesn't excist for some reason, and my SSD was renamed to Local Disc G, and wasn't a system disc. So I moved EVERYTHING for G:\ to C:\. So the problem is that C:\ isn't one of my Discs, and it can't start propertly. Also I can't access BIOS and I can't proceed so there is no way I know to fix this. If I just could boot my live linux version from the DVD again, I could fix it.

I downloaded openSUSE from a website and burned the .iso to a DVD, and booted from it. It works, and I could access my Discs and move files.

I will try boot without discs and CD ROM now :)

Forge

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 05:11:28 AM »
I was going to install Windows 8 at another partition but I was too fast and something went wrong.

I removed all the SATA-cables now and I got into BIOS. Thanks for the help (: I will try put the SATA cables in and see if it works, I think I can take it from here.

Thanks,
-Forge

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 06:20:31 AM »
Windows files cannot simply be moved and expected to run properly...
All versions of Windows write boot files to the root folder of C:....no matter where Win is installed to...that apparently changed when you did the Win8 install.
Personally i'd start over again.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Forge

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 07:30:18 AM »
I found the problem. My PC wont work with my HDD for some reason. I have re-installed Windows now, but all my pictures and music and videos is at the HDD, but I can't access it.

Transfusion

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 07:36:00 AM »
What is the specific error message you get when attempting to access the drive?
In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.

Forge

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 07:43:42 AM »
Nothing, it just freezes at startup at the ASUS screen where it gived me the opportunity to enter BIOS. I can't click into BIOS, and it doesn't go any further than this. I can turn on and off my keyboard's light and stuff so I'm not sure if its really a "freeze"

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 07:54:11 AM »
Nevermind the Processor power stuff, I just took the power from the CPU fan

Can you explain what this means ? ?

I'll have to admit that with the info provided...BIOS hanging issues...and your install of multiple OS's and removal that this is the funkiest setup i have seen this year so far...

Forge

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 08:31:33 AM »
I just unplugged the CPU Fan.

I installed Windows 8 on the same disc as Windows 7 was on with an accident. Now I have fixed this. The problem that I couldn't get past the ASUS enter BIOS screen at startup was because of my HDD, which got a problem atm. My PC doesn't get past this screen at all, so I will try to put it in another PC and see if I can get onto it.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 08:37:04 AM »
Clear as mud now....

Transfusion

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 10:29:43 AM »
If you unplugged the CPU fan, your CPU is in serious danger of overheating!!

Yes try slaving the HDD to another computer and see if you can access the data/format the HDD/etc.

Forge

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 01:28:43 PM »
Hehe, I unplugged and replugged it :) I wont turn it on without the CPU fan.

irah

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2011, 10:25:59 PM »
    Clear as mud now....
    hahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahah

Transfusion

Mentor

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #14 on: September 19, 2011, 10:36:24 PM »
    I doubt it will even power up without the CPU fan.