Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: "no speakers are plugged in"...but they are  (Read 15989 times)

kamikaze33

Topic Starter

Intermediate

"no speakers are plugged in"...but they are
    « on: September 20, 2011, 04:35:36 PM »
    Im getting an error message from windows saying i have no speakers/headphones plugged in, yet i have some powered logitechs hooked up to the appropriate port on my tower... ive tried restarting the computer/shutting off and un/replugging them in to no avail. DriveScanner is finding my "high definition audio device" drivers to be out of date, but fails to install the updates. I dont know how to go about updating the drivers otherwise either.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: "no speakers are plugged in"...but they are
    « Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 04:37:11 PM »
    There is no such thing as an out of date driver, and NEVER use third party driver utilities - you're asking for trouble.

Look in Device Manager - any yellow or red symbols?

kamikaze33

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 05:16:37 PM »
      There is no such thing as an out of date driver, and NEVER use third party driver utilities - you're asking for trouble.

Look in Device Manager - any yellow or red symbols?
      is that due to un-reliability or ware threats - just curious?
      there were not notifications under sound-related utilities; my network adapter has caution signs over it, which after clicking 'search for updates', it says they are up to date, but the notification persists. I will search for updates for my sound-related components...

EDIT: windows found software to install for my NVIDIA high definition audio, but it couldnt install it because it timed out

heres what its looking like:

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 07:23:37 PM »
      Can you provide the specs of this system? (include all hardware and the version of Windows you're using)

Also, are you plugging the speakers into a front panel jack, or the jack on the back of the computer? If you're plugging them into the front, try the rear jack instead.

I assume this is an on-board audio chipset, is that correct?

kamikaze33

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 09:13:03 PM »
        let me know if you need any more specs. wasnt really sure how in depth to post.
        and yes its hooked into the back

quaxo

Guru
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 09:41:39 PM »
        Need to know if this is a pre-built (make and model of the computer) or a custom build (make and model of the motherboard). If the sound device is not integrated (a separate card in a PCI or PCIx slot), then we'll need the make and model of that too. If it is part of the motherboard (integrated) then just the model of the motherboard or computer will suffice.

If you're not sure which is which, an integrated audio chipset will have the jacks next to the USB, network, PS/2 and other ports. A separate card will be located in one of the expansion slots away from the other ports.

If you haven't already done so, check that the speakers are working properly by testing them with another computer or device such as an MP3 player. Also, test another set of speakers or even headphones with the computer.

Additionally, make sure the speakers are in the correct jack (usually colored greed or indicated by a speaker or headphone icon). Gently rotate the plug in the jack to make sure it's making contact. Gently rub down the wire to check for a damaged cable.

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        • Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 10:38:15 PM »
        This is a HP Pavilion, as evidenced by the "system manufacturer" tab.

If it is possible to try, does audio work through the HDMI port of the 8400 GS? Is the "Wave" slider in your volume controls turned up to the max?
        In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
        Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

kamikaze33

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 10:40:21 PM »
          Need to know if this is a pre-built (make and model of the computer) or a custom build (make and model of the motherboard). If the sound device is not integrated (a separate card in a PCI or PCIx slot), then we'll need the make and model of that too. If it is part of the motherboard (integrated) then just the model of the motherboard or computer will suffice.

If you're not sure which is which, an integrated audio chipset will have the jacks next to the USB, network, PS/2 and other ports. A separate card will be located in one of the expansion slots away from the other ports.

If you haven't already done so, check that the speakers are working properly by testing them with another computer or device such as an MP3 player. Also, test another set of speakers or even headphones with the computer.

Additionally, make sure the speakers are in the correct jack (usually colored greed or indicated by a speaker or headphone icon). Gently rotate the plug in the jack to make sure it's making contact. Gently rub down the wire to check for a damaged cable.
          it was a pre-built, all i installed was the graphics card.  my audio chipset is integrated, speakers work fine on an mp3 and if i hook another set up to the desktop same problem persists. how do i go about finding my motherboard info? i believe the model number is 7th down in the 1st screenshot i posted

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • Yes
          • Experience: Familiar
          « Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 10:42:44 PM »
          Your motherboard is a proprietary model produced only by HP. The drivers will come from the HP support site. Have you checked in your Volume Controls to see if the "Wave" slider is turned up to the max?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=3445431
          Here are the driver downloads for your PC, which is the HP Pavilion a6109n.

Were there any abnormal occurrences before this problem cropped up?
          In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
          Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

kamikaze33

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 10:48:47 PM »
            This is a HP Pavilion, as evidenced by the "system manufacturer" tab.

If it is possible to try, does audio work through the HDMI port of the 8400 GS? Is the "Wave" slider in your volume controls turned up to the max?
            the card does not have an hdmi port, and i cant even access the wave slider. When i left click, it tries to diagnose itself to no avail, and when i right click, it gives me no options to actually adjust sound because it cant detect speakers.

quaxo

Guru
              • Yes
            « Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 10:50:18 PM »
            Sorry, I don't see any screenshots or any indication there were any.

kamikaze33

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 10:55:49 PM »
              Your motherboard is a proprietary model produced only by HP. The drivers will come from the HP support site. Have you checked in your Volume Controls to see if the "Wave" slider is turned up to the max?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=3445431
              Here are the driver downloads for your PC, which is the HP Pavilion a6109n.

Were there any abnormal occurrences before this problem cropped up?
              the only update i see is for lightscribe (i dont have one). should i still download it?
              and it was working perfectly fine. I WAS having problems with my graphics card (theres a thread a few posts before this one, http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,123492.0.html), in which case i unplugged all cables from my computer, turned it off, removed the power cord and reseated the graphics card, which fixed that problem, and i didnt notice any problems with the speakers as i went to bed right after resolving the graphics issue. When i powered my pc back on, the speaker problem was there.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
              • Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #12 on: September 20, 2011, 11:09:00 PM »
              From your Dxdiag - Directx Diagnostic Tool System Summary, HP Pavilion A6109n http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01065712&lang=en&cc=us&taskId=125&contentType=SupportFAQ&prodSeriesId=3436774&prodTypeId=12454
              Sound/Audio
              HD 8 audio channel
              ALC 888S Chipset
              Click the Sound Tab from Dxdiag and post the sound device description.

quaxo

Guru
                • Yes
              « Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 09:52:04 AM »
              Ah, I see the screens now that I'm at home. Seems the internet I was connected to this morning when posting blocks URLs containing certain words. One of those words is "hack" which is why it was blocking "imageshack". It didn't give me any indication it was doing so which is why I was beginning to think you might be crazy.  ;D Sorry about that.

kamikaze33

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 08:01:16 PM »
                From your Dxdiag - Directx Diagnostic Tool System Summary, HP Pavilion A6109n http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01065712&lang=en&cc=us&taskId=125&contentType=SupportFAQ&prodSeriesId=3436774&prodTypeId=12454
                Sound/Audio
                HD 8 audio channel
                ALC 888S Chipset
                Click the Sound Tab from Dxdiag and post the sound device description.

sorry, im not exactly sure where you want me to go? i looked under my system tools for that Dxdiag, its not there/i dont have it?
                if it helps, i tried going control panel > sound, and under there i tried to update the driver (failed/timed out), then tried to roll back the driver, still didnt help. I cant access my volume control from there because there "is no device installed".
                Also, before i got this graphics card, as far as i know Nvidia NEVER governed my sound; the only Nvidia brand hardware i have is my graphics card. I went through every Nvidia option from its control center, and found nothing related to sound.
                Furthermore, under my control panel, there is a "Realtek Audio Manager" icon. When i click that, i get nothing. I looked under my processes for task manager to see if maybe something was buggy with the .exe like sometimes happens with iTunes, and i could find nothing that appeared to be related to realtek with a .exe process running. ie, i click the icon and it dead-ends.
                « Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 08:26:33 PM by kamikaze33 »