Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HP pavillion ZD 7000 memory dumb????  (Read 3926 times)

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
HP pavillion ZD 7000 memory dumb????
« on: September 09, 2011, 05:45:57 PM »
Alright, I own this old Laptop the HP pavillion ZD7000, that i mainly use to stream youtube videos on my Tv, and one day i put new thermal paste on and after that everything worked perfectly fine until about a month later. At first I noticed the computer would restart when ever i connect my 1TB external HDD from seagate, and when playing movies and youtube videos after about 25 mins would give me a blue screen saying "begin dumb of physical memory'. I though this computer was full of junk and re-installed windows thinking it would fix the problems. I had gotten all the drivers and everything ran fine. The computer ran faster and quicker but the problem with the blue screen didn't disappear. I though it was the RAM (will list the specs at the end) so i inserted the Ubuntu CD version 9.10 and began a memory test, which my computer passed perfectly, and also the HD test. I have no idea what's going on and im starting to think that the CPU is overheating........ Is there a piece of software that could tell me what temperature my CPU is running at, and what temp is should be?

Specs:
HP pavillion ZD7000
3.00 GHz intel pentium 4 processor
512 MB of (i think DDR 1 not 100% sure but its 256 X2)
80GB HDD
Screen is bad and therefore im using it as a youtube TV.

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: HP pavillion ZD 7000 memory dumb????
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 11:26:11 PM »
Test the memory again with this:
http://www.memtest86.com/download.html

Download the "ISO image for creating bootable CD (Windows - zip)", burn it to a CD then boot the computer from that CD. Run the test and let it run for multiple passes (this will take hours, best to do it overnight). Errors won't always come on the first pass, sometimes they'll show up on the second, third, or later passes. If you get any errors, remove the RAM and make sure the contacts aren't corroded or dirty and the slot is clean, put it back in and run the test a second night. If the errors persist, the RAM is bad.

Run it with Ubuntu for a while and actively use it for a while (surf the web, watch videos, play music, whatever) and see if it gets an error or lucks up.

What did you use to diagnose the hard drive? If you didn't use the hard drive manufacturer's tool, download it and try it. They should be able to tell you better than anyone whether the drive is malfunctioning or not.

As for heat, download Speedfan:
http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

It runs in Windows and will tell you the CPU and other temps.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 12:07:33 AM »
For the bluescreen error messages : Download BlueScreenView (in Zip file) then unzip(extract by right clicking) and run Bluescreenview.
Go to Edit -Select All, File and Saved Selected Item. Create a name for the report, just make sure it is a .txt extension file like Report.txt. Copy/Paste ALL the created report on your next post.

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 11:39:45 AM »
alright here are the results from speed fan:

at start-up the system ran at: 54C (degrees)
then it  began to rise from 55, 56, 59, 60 and stayed at 60 Degrees which watching youtube and simpsons movies online
the most it went was 64C and only taking up 30% CPU.
I used Ubuntu 9.10 and when i went to 'try ubuntu without doing changes to computer' it started to boot and after the boot screen i got a flashing purple screen, same thing when i clicked install ubuntu.
Im going to try the memory test and will try the newest version of ubuntu or at least 10.04.

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 12:23:22 PM »
the memtest is the exact same one thats on the ubuntu 9.10 CD and it passed the test

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 12:39:05 PM »
Specs:
HP pavillion ZD7000
3.00 GHz intel pentium 4 processor
512 MB of (i think DDR 1 not 100% sure but its 256 X2)
80GB HDD
Screen is bad and therefore im using it as a youtube TV.
You seem to have more than your share of computer problems.

You didn't say why you put new thernal paste on this laptop.
Need more info on this one: desktop or mobile CPU?  HWInfo32 will tell you.  CPU overheating is a possiblity depending on the exact CPU used.  3.00 GHz intel pentium 4 processor will run hotter than newer multicore cpu's.

You didn't answer quaxo's question:  "What did you use to diagnose the hard drive? If you didn't use the hard drive manufacturer's tool, download it and try it. They should be able to tell you better than anyone whether the drive is malfunctioning or not."

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 01:07:06 PM »
i used the HD diagnostics given on the ubuntu 9.10 linux CD and the result was that it was alright. Im not quite sure where to get a HP diagnostics tool,

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 01:39:07 PM »
HP doesn't manufacture hard drives.
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 08:55:54 PM »
i used the HD diagnostics given on the ubuntu 9.10 linux CD and the result was that it was alright. Im not quite sure where to get a HP diagnostics tool,

As CC said, HP didn't make the hard drive, they just put it in. Flip the laptop over and remove the hard drive cover and look at the label on the hard drive. Depending on how they put the hard drive in, you might actually have to pull the drive out if they put the label facing inwards.

I tried to search online, but I couldn't find a definite answer as to the make of the hard drive that's in that laptop.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 05:33:00 AM »
No need to pull the hard drive when HWInfo32 will tell you:  www.hwinfo.com

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 10:49:41 AM »
alright sorry for taking soo long to reply here is what the general information page on my hard drive gave me:
Drive Controller:                                                               E-IDE (ATA-6)
Drive Channel:                                                                  Primary, Master
Drive Model:                                                                    Hitachi IC25N080ATMR04-0
Drive Revision:                                                                 MO4OAD5A
Drive Serial Number:                                                            MRG41YK4J4GEGH
Drive Capacity:                                                                 76,319 MBytes (80 GB)

are you sure it could be the drive? I think its the CPu over heating, and since the ubuntu 9.10 didnt work, should i try a never version and install it to see if it works?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011, 11:09:09 AM »
...are you sure it could be the drive? ...
Yes, I'm sure it could be the drive.  I'm sure it could be other things, too.

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2011, 11:29:23 AM »
alright so far i have ben using the computer for the last hour with out giving an error, weird it works, well so far, ill install ubuntu 10.04 and see if i get error on that, and if i do i =t is the HDD

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2011, 12:17:56 PM »
Test the hard drive with Hitachi Drive Fitness Test
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

It's the only way to know for sure if it's the hard drive.  Just using it doesn't mean anything.