Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: best browser  (Read 12648 times)

paavan123

Topic Starter

• Digital Media Promotion India | Digital Marketing Chennai | Digital Advertising Chennai | Digital Marketing Trends | Digital CRM | SEO Packages Chennai | SMO Packages Chennai | SEO packages India | SMO Packages India
  • Experience: Familiar
best browser
« on: October 10, 2011, 09:52:10 PM »
Hello friends, this is my new post. I have been using two internet browser such as Mozilla Firefox and internet explorer.  I need to know which is the best among them???
Why they are called best among them???

reddevilggg

Expert

• Experience: Beginner
Re: best browser
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 08:10:32 AM »

There is 'no best' , its just personal preference. If you search the forum there is alot of topics on this, but some people have opinions on browsers that are usually wrong.
11 cheers for binary !

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 07:11:41 PM »
The Best browser by far is the one that you like and use everyday and gives you no grief...Period.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 07:39:27 AM »
I like Opera too, but I agree with patio and reddevilggg's comments.

Nightjay0044

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 07:23:29 PM »
I say the latest firefox. Opera is ok, but doesn't always work very well with some media extension on some websites. Firefox seems to have less problems, but lately seems to take up a lot of memory.

So to be honest, I haven't really found a browser that I use all the time yet.  :(
All in good time.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 07:08:56 AM »
Opera is ok, but doesn't always work very well with some media extension on some websites.
... websites, such as? ???

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 08:54:33 AM »
    soybean, Just to add my penny's worth. I use Opera most of the time but i do have and use others occasionally (seamonkey/firefox/ie8/9/google chrome). But to relate to "Opera is ok, but doesn't always work very well with some media extension on some websites." There is one web site  " http://youbidlocal.com/ " that i view frequently and invariably there will be instances where the pictures accompanying the item do NOT match the description of the item. I have contacted the web server for the site and made them aware of the issue (as that is where i believe it emanates from). Why and how i don't have a clue. Bur in spite of that advisory months ago it persists in Opera. It does NOT occur with other browsers. However still would not cause me to stop or lessen my use of Opera as other features of it more than offset that small disadvantage. truenorth

soybean

Genius
    « Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 09:44:39 AM »
    truenorth, I have encountered a few instances where Opera seemed to be  not working quite right with a particular website, so I'm not saying that never happens.  But, the site you mentioned is not a good example of what I believe Nightjay0044 meant by "some media extension on some websites".  I assume he means something like a site using Flash Player, Silverlight, etc. 

By the way, I viewed the http://youbidlocal.com/ with Opera and did not the issue mentioned.  If you happen to encounter that again, I'd be interested in taking a look at the specific page where the error occurred.   

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 11:28:45 AM »
      Soybean, Yes i did note the O/P's mention of the "media" reference but being unsure of it's meaning i mentioned my Opera experience to only imply that for whatever reason Opera has demonstrated to me certain anomalies that don't occur on other browsers.I did do a check on 2 of the auctions currently showing on the site and went through all of the listings and did NOT find a single event as i related to in my earlier post. However as i shall be continuing to search their future auctions (they do come out with new ones quite frequently) and i certainly will let you know with specifics if/when it occurs again. truenorth

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 12:28:20 PM »
        soybean, That anomaly of misplaced pictures/descriptions is currently occurring on the site noted above on a current auction. It is the 1st auction listed "Langfield St.. I have only looked at few items on the 1st page but i easily note that which i related earlier. Example Item #2 in the description is stated to be a "Sklar Peppler bookcase when the associated picture is of a cabinet sewing machine. However if you click to view the total pictures it does show  pictures of a bookcase. Now if you proceed to item #39 it is exactly the reverse and again if you select to view all the pictures it is of the sewing machine. There could be other examples as well but i have only looked at a part of the 1st page. Opera is version 11.52 truenorth

soybean

Genius
        « Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 12:40:53 PM »
        truenorth, I still have not seen what you describe.  For example, if I look at the items listed at http://youbidlocal.auctionflex.com/showlots.ap?co=13041&weid=20171&weiid=7353015&archive=n&lso=bidcountdesc&pagenum=1&lang=En , I do not the mis-match of description and picture of the item.  Can you post a specific URL to a page where you see this, or state exactly a case where you see the discrepancy?  I'm also using Opera 11.52.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 12:49:07 PM »
          Ok here you go=
          http://youbidlocal.auctionflex.com/showlots.ap?co=13041&weid=20171&weiid=7353015&archive=n&lso=bidcountdesc&pagenum=1&lang=En
          Since i posted the post above i have gone through the rest of the sale items and the anomaly occurs quite often (at least 6 times). On the page i referenced in the post above the items are NOT sequential i believe the placement is by highest bid item and then next highest and so on.truenorth
          P.S. I linked to the sale from the lower reference to it where it states "Auctions now open for bidding".

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          • Certifications: List
          « Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 12:50:03 PM »
          I have Chrome, Firefox, IE8 and Opera installed, to properly test my site for compatibility.

Opera is the only one that seemed to have issues, but it wasn't so much that Opera had issues, rather my site had issues and Opera highlighted those issues so I was able to fix them.

The reason for "anomalies" between some browsers and not others, is pretty easy to explain.

Chrome and Firefox pretty much "copy" each other. That is, one of them will implement a W3C spec a certain way, and the other one will do it the same way; the specifications themselves are rather vague and open to interpretation, so other browsers that don't copy it might do things differently, but still be perfectly within the spec.

Basically, the reason that some browsers might have issues where others don't is typically because the website author has become dependent on the specific way that certain elements are handled by some browsers.
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

soybean

Genius
          « Reply #13 on: November 02, 2011, 01:38:17 PM »
          Ok here you go=
          http://youbidlocal.auctionflex.com/showlots.ap?co=13041&weid=20171&weiid=7353015&archive=n&lso=bidcountdesc&pagenum=1&lang=En
          Since i posted the post above i have gone through the rest of the sale items and the anomaly occurs quite often (at least 6 times). On the page i referenced in the post above the items are NOT sequential i believe the placement is by highest bid item and then next highest and so on.truenorth
          P.S. I linked to the sale from the lower reference to it where it states "Auctions now open for bidding".
          I still don't see an instance of what you say you see, which is not surprising since you posted the same link that I posted and where I said I found no discrepancies. 

Again, can you state a specific item where you see a discrepancy between the picture and the description, A SPECIFIC ITEM? 

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2011, 06:26:27 PM »
            Soybean, With all due respect i do believe that is EXACTLY what i have done in post #10. I don't see how i can be any more specific than that (items are named/items are given by the numbers associated with them/items are described very accurately i believe). The fact that your URL and mine are the same may well be the case but i did NOT click on your URL i simply responded to your request for the precise URL that I had used to encounter the anomaly. I find it very intriguing that you access the same site using the same URL with the same browser version and display different results.
             To B.C. I too have accessed this site previously with a multitude of different browsers and even different computers. I always can access the site regardless of the browser used and if i do have this particular issue arise it is always on Opera (including earlier versions and NEVER on any other browser). When i 1st noted the issue i contacted the auction service (not the WEB master) and pointed it out to them re the Opera association and other than saying that they may not have taken into account the peculiarities that Opera might present in dealing with their listings they were unaware of the issue until i had called them. Just as a related but slightly different component of this days observation on the site. Previously when the listings were non associated with the accompanying picture so were the linked "all" pictures for the item. Today it is only at the listing page NOT on the additional pictures access. They are appropriate for the item described.Please guys don't lose any sleep over this. I am NOT expecting a solution (other than perhaps from the administrators of the web site--but even there i don't believe it will be a high priority as probably there are very few users of Opera accessing their site). I just find it peculiar. If anyone requires additional info from me i shall be glad to oblige.If for instance a screen shot of a page where the issue is (in case you think this is all in my imagination  ;D). truenorth