Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 7 persmissions  (Read 2386 times)

brianb22

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
Windows 7 persmissions
« on: November 02, 2011, 09:52:56 PM »
i'm running 7 ultimate 64-bit.  i installed it on a new hdd i bought.  added two older hdds for extra storage.  they still had quite a bit of stuff on them that i copied over to the new hdd.  what i keep running into is permission problems.  i keep getting errors saying i don't have permission for this or that and i'm the administrator.  there is no other account on my computer.  thing is it's not just on the old hdds.  i've had it pop up on the new one.  i'm just trying to find the best setting to stop making me have to change permissions on everything and not ask me all the time if i do or don't want to do something.  i know there has to be security and that's all well and good.  this is just getting to be really really annoying. 
while we are on the subject of microsoft, anyone out there own a zune?  i can't even tell you the crap i'm going through trying to reinstall the software on my new pc ??? ???

nixie

Beginner

• Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Windows 7 persmissions
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 04:24:19 PM »
If the new build has the same computer name, same user name, and same password... I believe you get pass thru authentication with your older drives secure folders. Problem you have is that they appear foreign to your new build, and data security is getting in the way. I did this way back for early NTFS, not sure if it will work for Win 7, but you can give it a try. All names and password have to be exact alphanumeric case sensitive.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 04:55:08 PM »
Take Ownership...

The info is for XP but the procedure is the same...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

brianb22

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 01:07:08 AM »
Ok.  I'll give it a try and see what happens.  Thanks

brianb22

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 01:12:23 AM »
Looks like it's for individual folders.  I knew how to do that.  I just thought there might be a setting that could make it where I would have permission over everything instead of on a case by case basis.  Kind of a set something and then never have to do it again.  Guess not.  Oh well.  Not that big of a deal really.  Just a nuisance I'll have to deal with for a bit.  If only I could say the same for my Zune software.  I love the player but the software and the company's inability to troubleshoot it is an absolute nightmare.  Anyways, thanks again guys.

kenf916

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 09:13:48 AM »
    This is a permission issue related to NTFS.  The Security Identifiers (SIDS) that are set for those file are from a different system.  As a result, the SID your current system presents has no permissions.

Solution:  You need to Take Ownership of the files and Folders on the drives.

Go to Computer | {Select one of the drives} | Right click on the Drive Icon | Left Click on Properties | Click the Security Tab | Click the Advanced Button | Click the Change Permission Button | set teh permission you need and make sure to check the Replace Child Object Permissions box.

This will take a while depending on the size of the drive.  Repeat for each drive and you are done.

Ken

« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 03:22:51 AM by Fed »