Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Router Problem... possibly  (Read 8834 times)

celestialteapot

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Router Problem... possibly
    « on: November 01, 2011, 08:01:58 PM »
    I have a 2MB connection (with Plusnet, supposedly up to 15MB), but can't even get 512kbps on my laptop (Dell Studio 1558, running Win 7) so can't watch youtube videos or the like. However, on my other laptop (Alienware... can't remember the model, running XP) I get speeds in excess of 2MB no problem watching videos.

Only thing I think is going on is the Alienware is connected to my Belkin Router/Modem and my Dell laptop is connected to the internet through it's WLAN card... even though it's the Dell laptop the router was originally installed on. Naturally, I'm really puzzled and I don't know enough about computers to even work out what this could be.

Recently, I noticed when I was trying to figure out what was going on that my Belkin Router monitoring thingy was grey and that instead of the network I'm connected to it's saying "unknown" and when I tried connected to my router with an Ethernet cable, it isn't coming up as connected (my wireless signal doesn't change to the little wired picture).

I've tried googling the problem but I can't seem to find anything that sounds like this so... very confused. To me it seems like for whatever reason my Dell laptop isn't recognising my router but still connecting to the internet using it's wireless card. All drives and firmwire is up to date.

Help?

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    Re: Router Problem... possibly
    « Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 07:16:14 AM »
    Is the 512 kbps speed for your laptop on wireless or wired connection? How were you able to monitor your internet connection speed on both computers? Try speedtest.net to check on your upload/download speed and post the result.

celestialteapot

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 06:46:57 PM »
      I can't get my router connected to the Dell laptop, when I connect it via the Ethernet cable nothing happens, it still 'runs' from a wireless signal. I don't understand why this is as originally I had it 'wired' in order to set up the network...! I tried turning off the wireless on the laptop and then plugging in the Ethernet cable but nothing happened.

Dell:

Alienware

Both laptops are in the same room (one on the desk) and connected to the same router, so I really don't understand how I'm getting two very different speeds. As you can see from the time, it's the same on both (12:26AM), I sat them next to each other and hit "begin" at the same time (could the speed test be affected greatly by the server, one is Skipton the other is Lancaster?)

Could it be something to do with the internal wireless card? The Dell laptop has a WLAN Wireless 1397 Mini-Card, and the Alienware has a Intel PROset. Everything seems up to date.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 08:09:49 PM »
      Surely my Dell laptop is older and slower that yours. I have DSL and use wireless 802.11 to connect from the  combo router to the Dell.

Let my suggest that you use the Crisco* Network Magic trial just to see if there is an obvious solution to the problem. It is quicker that spending hurs trying different tricks.

Network Magic Trial.
      www.purenetworks.com/download/

BTW: There is, so far, not free software that even cokes close to the Crisco* product. And no, I don't have stock in Crisco. Wish I did.

* The spell checker will not let me use the true long  name for the company, so we just abbreviates to Crisco for shortening.  :P

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
      « Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 12:13:27 AM »
      I can't get my router connected to the Dell laptop, when I connect it via the Ethernet cable nothing happens, it still 'runs' from a wireless signal
      What happens exactly when you connect to LAN and starts browsing? Try doing the speedtest with only the Dell laptop connected wireless. Are you sure your wifi network is secured? Posting the Dell laptop model would determine the capability of your laptop.

celestialteapot

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 07:56:23 AM »
        My first thought was that someone else was on my network but I checked and it's still secure. I used the programme that Geek-PM suggested and it's only showing both laptops (and the printer) on the network, no one else.

Nothing happens when I'm connected with the LAN cable, I turned off the wireless on the laptop to see it would connect that way but it wouldn't.

Dell is a Studio 1558
        Intel Core i5 M 520 2.4GHz
        4GB RAM
        Windows 7Home Edition (64bit)

I'm going to try reinstalling the router at the weekend as it's probably worth a try.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
        « Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 11:09:35 PM »
        What Belkin router model are you using? I do not have or used any Belkin router, so I am not familiar with that image you have posted. But most likely they are self-explanatory. If the other computer can access by LAN or wired while the Dell cannot but previously worked, we might need some information from your IP configuration. Will wait what happens after resetting the Belkin router.

celestialteapot

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 03:02:38 PM »
          I have a Belkin Play Wireless-N Dual Band ASDL Modem Router (F7D4402 v1)

Friend suggested I change the wireless channel, so I've done that. Nothing seems to have changed.

Re-installed router software, hasn't changed the none-showing of the network in the grey box thingy but does seem to have fixed the not working as a wired connection problem. This hasn't changed the quality of the connection. Doesn't explain why my other laptop gets a much better connection though!!

Think I might have to get an engineer out to look at my phone line, the line test says I'm capable of 5MB but that's not happening.

Thanks for the help though :))

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
          « Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 01:07:46 AM »
          Re-installed router software
          This could be the problem but not sure yet. You could actually configure the router settings manually without running any cd software from the device. Just have to check if there is a manual online for that particular model.
          but does seem to have fixed the not working as a wired connection problem.
          Ok, have you run speedtest again on wired and wireless with only the particular laptop connected on the network? Let us see if there is any improvement from the results. What is your actual subscribed bandwith connection speed?

celestialteapot

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 10:01:42 AM »
            Hi,

No change in the speed when connected via the ethernet cable. I pay for a "up to 5MB" connection from Plusnet, I'm thinking of switching but I doubt that it'll change much. The line test I did suggested that my line is capable of these speeds so I don't know if I need to get an engineer to take a look in case there is something physically wrong with the line or if I need to get a new modem/router.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
            « Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 10:58:31 PM »
            I have a 2MB connection (with Plusnet, supposedly up to 15MB
            I pay for a "up to 5MB" connection from Plusnet
            You have varying connection speeds I cannot fully understand.
            1. Did you ran speedtest with only the Dell machine connected?
            2. Is wireless connection secured for there might be outside users connecting to your network?
            3. What protection softwares are installed?

celestialteapot

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 09:06:23 AM »
              1) Speedtest with Dell 'wired' to the router.
              2) I changed the password just in case someone had somehow got onto the network, ran speedtest again - still the same. Even made sure the guest option was turned off.
              3) I have McAfree

I checked my package details with Plusnet, they say everything is "up to 20MB", the BT line test I've done (and they've done) says I'm capable of "up to 5MB" (think when I first joined Plusnet it was "up to 2MB", I find all these different speeds a bit confusing sometimes!!!) Either way, I'm not even getting close to these speeds. It usually takes 2hrs to download a podcast, it's quite depressing at times.

I looked at the networks my laptop could "see", there's about 6 - is it possible that the channel I'm on has a lot of traffic and this is causing low speeds? I'm a bit tempted to switch to BT and go fibre optic but kinda worried I'm going to end up paying a lot of money for something that's just as bad as my current situation.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
              • Geek After Dark
                • Gekk9pm bnlog
              • Certifications: List
              • Computer: Specs
              • Experience: Expert
              « Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 04:45:23 PM »
              I looked at the networks my laptop could "see", there's about 6 - is it possible that the channel I'm on has a lot of traffic and this is causing low speeds? I'm a bit tempted to switch to BT and go fibre optic but kinda worried I'm going to end up paying a lot of money for something that's just as bad as my current situation.
              Yes, that can explain everything.

Why go to BT?  That would not solve the witless issue, -Right?

How far is you laptop from the router? Try it closer to the router just to see what happens, Get within about 3 or 5 meters. (About 10 to 15 feet.)  With no walls in the way. Does that help?

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
              « Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 11:07:46 PM »
              3) I have McAfree
              This might shed some light to your problem. Do you have the trial or paid software package? Do you see the protection features of Mcafee enabled such as firewall, real-time, anti-spam, phishing in the control settings?

celestialteapot

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2011, 10:43:24 AM »
                My McAfree is part of a 1yr free subscription deal I got with my laptop. I tried turning it off the other day when it estimating 2hrs for a 29MB podcast, things didn't seem to improve. I think the only thing I have switched off is the parental controls. Do you think it's worth uninstalling McAfree to see if it is this causing the problems? I'm planning to go back to AVG or Avast once my McAfree expires.