Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: log on problem/no desktop  (Read 2400 times)

dontbilkme

log on problem/no desktop
« on: November 11, 2011, 03:15:11 PM »
I have a Dell computer about 4 yrs old, Windows Vista OS.  Several weeks ago I could not log on to my desktop, I am the administrator of my computer.  I can bring up the desktop of my daughter as user or as Guest as user.  Their desk top comes up.  I can go on the internet,etc but
I cannot get the computer to read a disc, nor, can I load a new printer software. 

Can anyone give me suggestions?

dontbilkme

nixie

Beginner

• Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: log on problem/no desktop
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 03:47:55 PM »
Sounds like you may have a corrupt profile for the administrator account (your acct), and the profiles that work are user accts vs admin and thats why you cant install printer driver or install anything via Disc.

Last time I ran into this the computer was part of a corporate domain and so I was able to blow away their profile after grabbing Favorites and My Documents, and create a new profile. But since this is a home computer and it had only 1 admin acct of which it is inaccessible, you may need to use a profile repair tool or perform a Windows Repair Installation.

If you have the system recovery disc's you could perform a Windows Repair Installation for Vista: http://www.top-windows-tutorials.com/reinstall-windows-vista.html

This will keep your data, favorites, etc, and correct for any corruption of system components including profiles. * Just be sure you are performing a Repair Install and not a Clean Install that will wipe all your data!!!