Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: COM setup  (Read 2222 times)

FRACKhead

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    COM setup
    « on: November 14, 2011, 06:07:23 PM »
    I have installed two serial cards to my computer, in the CMOS setup screen I can see 3 serial devices.  My parallel serial and both my serial cards.  When I go to devices to set up my COMS it only displays COM1 and COM2, but when i go to advanced settings it says COM1/2/3/4 are in use for a name change option.  I need to have all 4 com ports available to test my servers with hyperterminal.  I'm somewhat familiar with computers as I am setting these up for our Van to receive and send information from our Frack pumps, blender, and transducers.  I am an etech so I mainly deal with electrical problems but this was thrown on me because I said i knew a bit about computers.  Much help appreciated, I have searched the forums but I do  not have much time to read through a lot of posts as we need to begin fracking.

Regards

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    Re: COM setup
    « Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 06:43:11 PM »
    if memory serves, you cannot physically use COM1 and COM3 at the same time, nor can you use COM2 and COM4 at the same time, as they (COM1 and COM3, and COM2 and COM 4) use the same I/O addresses. COM3 and COM4 are more or less used as "psuedo" devices so you have something to associate with devices such as infrared ports or bluetooth.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

FRACKhead

Topic Starter

Re: COM setup
      « Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 07:32:56 PM »
      I have two servers with 8 screens setup, the purpose of the coms is to transmit data coming in to the other screens.  Basically we use a program called Fracpro which graphs out rate/density of the discharge and suction of chemicals.  An engineer or consultant looks over the data and watches pressures and gives orders based on his companies views.  We have other Vans setup that run on COMs 1-4 on 2 different servers supplying information to 8 screens.  My startup menu says that 3 Serial devices are seen but only 1 displays both of its ports, the other two are hidden.  It can be done I just need help on displaying the ports on device manager so I can change the bitrate to 19200 and transmit the data coming into my serial devices from the machinery.