Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Seeking Suggestions Making Free Antivirus Software List  (Read 15250 times)

computercorner

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Computer Repair Hawaii
    • Computer Corner Hawaii
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Seeking Suggestions Making Free Antivirus Software List
« on: November 26, 2011, 12:54:59 PM »
I am looking for as many suggestions as possible for a nice clean one stop location for free antivirus software page we are making on our site. Similar to the one on http://PCHell.com but a little more inclined for the newbie, and DIY people who tend to stop by our site. Currently our list includes free antivirus software, free online scanners, norton and mcafee removal tool, and CCleaner. We are open to any tool suggestions as long as they don't get flagged as malware by the various scanners because our primary objective is to consolidate the information into a clean, easy to use list for both our techs and site visitors to use. I have seen other posts http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,16182.html with a variety of suggestions, but my hope is to obtain the most up to date and helpful information as possible. A lot to ask for our first post, thanks in advance.

Edited by Allan
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 01:11:36 PM by Allan »

computercorner

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Computer Repair Hawaii
    • Computer Corner Hawaii
Re: Seeking Suggestions Making Free Antivirus Software List
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 02:10:34 PM »
Right now the list is made up of the following:

Free Antivirus Software
1.Microsoft Security Essentials
2.Avast
3.Avira Anti-Vir
4.MalwareBytes
5.Super AntiSpyware
6.PC Tools
7.Kaspersky
8.Emsisoft Anti-Malware
9.AVG
10.Dr.Web CureIt!

Free Online Scanners
Symantec Online Scanner
CA Online Scanner
TrendMicro
F-Secure
Windows Security
BitDefener Online File Scan
Nod32 Online Scanner

But I would like to expand it as much as possible to include as many utilities as possible. (I should've included the list initially, my bad Allen).
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 02:26:42 PM by computercorner »

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 02:14:46 PM »
First thing you need to do is differentiate between anti-virus and anti-malware software. They are not the same.

computercorner

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Computer Repair Hawaii
    • Computer Corner Hawaii
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 02:33:27 PM »
Thanks Allen, I understand and appreciate your suggestion.

I never thought of doing it like that. Maybe a breakdown of most effective removers of Scareware, Trojans, Viruses, Adware and so on?

Perhaps maybe a "for beginners" section, then Antivirus and Anti Malware sections? Breaking each category down? Most of our visitors don't know the difference between a Rootkit and Trojan, but my hope is to make the list helpful for basic and advanced users alike.

computercorner

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Computer Repair Hawaii
    • Computer Corner Hawaii
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 11:01:51 PM »
When I worked for Firedog one of our best guys put together the following list. I am thinking I should make a separate page entirely for this list but good informatio either way (I left out the links):

Handy Tools

nLite: A tool which makes slipstreaming drivers, service packs, hotfixes, or removing unnecessary components from Windows XP really easy.

vLite: Same tool as above, designed for Vista

WAIK: Windows Automated Installation kit, pretty much required if you're going to be doing any editing with Vista install media since you need the tools it containts to edit Vista .wim files

PEBuilder: PEBuilder allows you to create XP Preinstall Environment (PE) discs,? Called PE due to Microsoft releasing WinPE discs which were to be used to deploy XP accross network, though these are modified, and custimizable to act like a Windows on a disc.

XPE: XPE is an interface that I highly recommend getting if you're going to toy with PEBuilder, it's what gives you the start bar and explorer shell, there are alternatives, but this is best to use.

WinBuilder: WinBuilder is used to create XP or Vista PE discs, though more Vista.

Portable Apps: Program similar to firedog console, but custimizable by you.

AutoIt: A program which allows you to create scripts which automate programs, Trey Combs used to use these fairly intensively to create scripts which would elevate the program to do administrative things, let alone autmate so many application installs.? Very easy to use too.? I use it to automate program installs.

Resource Hacker
: Really cool tool that let's you open a .exe file and change things like the icon.? I love this tool.

Hex Workshop: My hex editor of choice, very handy tool which is important if you plan on making multi-boot CD/DVDs with XP on them.

CDImageGUI: This tool is important if you're ever planning on making boot discs, let alone multi-boot discs, as it allows you to create .ISO with boot sectors, and for multi-boot idscs it optimizes the image, meaning that mutiples of the same files are only written to the disc once, my AIO-DVD is 14GB on my hard drive, using this utility shrinks it down to about 4.2GB.? Click on the CDImageGUI link to grab it.

Driver-Packs: Started by Bashrat the Sneaky, this now open source project is essentially just about every XP driver ever made, handy if your making unattended install XP discs as you'll have SATA/SCSI drivers in the DOS phase of the installation process, not to mention proper video and such by the time you hit regular windows.

WPI: Windows Post Installer, this utility is designed to be used during a Windows install.? At the very end it'll prompt you for any application you want to install before starting the, it prompts you right after the OOBE.? Can also be used as a stand alone program installer on a CD, awesome lil' tool.

BCDW: Bootable CD Wizard was the boot loader of choice for the firedog Utilities Disc, very handy and awesome, though not recommended for a disc with SEVERAL utilities due to overhead in creating/maintaining it.

Boot Scriptor: Boot loader of choice for an multiboot disc with several tools due to it's simplicity in programming.

EasyBoot: Boot loader of choice for Best Buy's MRI disc, though you do have to pay for it.

Any XP>MCE: Turn your XP Home, Pro or Tablet PC into a Media Center version of Windows.? Undersand how it works

Virtual PC 2007: A free virtual box from Microsoft, GREAT for testing your bootable XP/Vista creations.? highly recommended.

Boot Discs

LiveXP: XP on a disc, similar to James PE, just not made by me and the tool set is different, it's built using WinBuilder. More Info

VistaPE: Vista on a disc, similar to James PE 2.0, except I added a couple things, I used this as a base for it though.

ReactOS
: Open source version of a Windows clone, very awesome.

UBCD4Win
: Ultimate Boot CD for Windows, built using PEBuilder, James PE was based off of this project, though reengineered to meet my needs.

UBCD: Ultimate Boot CD is a DOS based disc with various DOS based tools, fairly handy.

Hiren's Boot CD
: Similar to the Ultimate Boot CD listed above, though with some slightly different tools here and there.

Knoppix: Bootable Linux Live disc.? Basically a Linux version of WinPE

Insert: Bootable Linux environment small enough to fit on a mini-CDr, handy in tough spots.? Mostly for networking solutions.

kimsland

Intermediate

• Leaving, CH can obviously do without my support.
    « Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 08:35:52 AM »
    You mean similar to this:

What are the current available antivirus programs?
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000514.htm

By the way, check out 'AV-comparitives' http://www.av-comparatives.org/
    (The link in the first URL above(available antivirus programs) to AV-comparitives directly to 'main-tests' is against their policy, and also broken!

computercorner

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Computer Repair Hawaii
      • Computer Corner Hawaii
    « Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 10:44:24 AM »
    Yes! Thanks kimsland! I've been searching through computerhope for the past week trying to find something like that. Thanks to Allen, I am breaking down the list into different categories and adding various tools as well. Like the following list of free rescue disk providers. A lot of people are do not know that they are free to the public. Thanks again!

Free Rescue Disk Sources

Microsoft Stand alone System Sweeper
    http://connect.microsoft.com/systemsweeper

AVG Rescue CD http://www.avg.com/us-en/avg-rescue-cd

Avira Rescue System http://www.avira.com/en/support-download-avira-antivir-rescue-system

Kaspersky Rescue Disk http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/rescuedisk

Bitdefender Rescue CD http://www.bitdefender.com/support/How-to-create-a-BitDefender-Rescue-CD-627.html

kimsland

Intermediate

• Leaving, CH can obviously do without my support.
      « Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 05:56:23 PM »
      Thanks to Allen, I am breaking down the list into different categories and adding various tools as well. Like the following list of free rescue disk providers.
      Yes, I like them
      I also use a free Recovery Console Boot disc http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso
      It helps for Checkdisk and getting to normally locked files.

May not be relevant to your 'Antivirus' Cd's exactly.

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      « Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 06:20:24 AM »
      Right now the list is made up of the following:

Free Antivirus Software
      7.Kaspersky

Kaspersky is not free as far as I know. There are free trial versions, but nearly every pay company makes one of those. There is no permanently free version of Kaspersky that I have ever heard of. A search turned up nothing either.

computercorner

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Computer Repair Hawaii
        • Computer Corner Hawaii
      « Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 02:54:37 PM »
      Kaspersky is not free as far as I know. There are free trial versions, but nearly every pay company makes one of those. There is no permanently free version of Kaspersky that I have ever heard of. A search turned up nothing either.

Actually, the Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool is Free you can find a direct link to it here:

http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/avptool2011?level=2

or here:

http://www.kaspersky.com/virus-removal-tools

After you download and install it, it runs in the background with full on access protection. If the signature database gets too dated, it will alert you to download the latest version of the utility as well.

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      « Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 09:47:08 PM »
      It does NOT run with full on protection, it even says that on the webpage YOU linked.

Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool 2011 is not intended for real-time protection of computer. After the disinfection of the computer is complete, the application should be uninstalled from the hard drive and replaced with the real-time protection anti-virus:

Kaspersky PURE
          Kaspersky Internet Security
          Kaspersky Anti-Virus

The tool in itself is not Kaspersky Anti-Virus in any of its forms.

computercorner

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Computer Repair Hawaii
        • Computer Corner Hawaii
      « Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 11:57:21 PM »
      Whether or not you choose to use it is up to you. You can test it out to see if what I am telling you is correct or you can shell out a few dollars to pay for what you can get for free. Either way will serve its intended purpose.

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      « Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 01:33:22 AM »
      Whether or not you choose to use it is up to you. You can test it out to see if what I am telling you is correct or you can shell out a few dollars to pay for what you can get for free. Either way will serve its intended purpose.

It's intended purpose is in the quote. It is not intended for real-time protection. It will not do all the same things as the pay versions. I don't need to test it out, I've used it before. I know what it is. I've also used the pay version of KIS for years. They are not the same.

It's a tool for removing viruses. It is not real-time protection. It is not a free anti-virus program with the likes of Avast, Avira, MSE. You are just spreading false information that could lead a less knowledgeable user to having less protection than they should and you should stop because you obviously have no idea what you're talking about. End of story.

computercorner

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Computer Repair Hawaii
        • Computer Corner Hawaii
      « Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 03:01:10 AM »
      It's intended purpose

Is it Free? Yes.
      Does it detect and remove threats? Yes.
      Does it serve its "intended purpose?" Yes, it REMOVES THREATS.

I never compared it to Avast, Avira or God forbit MSE.

If your only mission here is to try and discredit me thats fine. I challenge you, and anyone else to install Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool and run some tests to see if it detects and removes current and on access threats. It does what I said it would do.

If you believe I am spreading false information (I believe the more appropriate wording is "misinformation") or not that is fine. I have respect for your current level of expertise on the matter, and do not intend to underestimate your experience. We remove viruses and repair computers every day. That is what we do and have always done probably since you were in kindergarden.

Nonetheless, play with symantics and credibility challeges if you wish. In the meantime, I stand by my word.

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      « Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 03:18:36 AM »
      I never compared it to Avast, Avira or God forbit MSE.
      Free Antivirus Software
      1.Microsoft Security Essentials
      2.Avast
      3.Avira Anti-Vir
      4.MalwareBytes
      5.Super AntiSpyware
      6.PC Tools
      7.Kaspersky
      8.Emsisoft Anti-Malware
      9.AVG
      10.Dr.Web CureIt!

By including it in that list, you have. Not to mention anti-malware programs which is not even the same thing. Learn what you're talking about before you make recommendations so there is no misinformation on your part.