Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Keyboard Problems: Driver Issue?  (Read 3137 times)

temp_name

Keyboard Problems: Driver Issue?
« on: December 21, 2011, 03:49:07 PM »
Hello All:

Very recently, my 'a' key stopped functioning properly. There was another problem with the 'w' key that was and still is a problem, but I have adjusted to it.

Anyway, the 'a' key will be pressed and not do anything at all unless it is pressed repeatedly, then about every 5-10 strokes it prints a character. About 10 minutes ago I discovered that it works almost flawlessly when it is used with the shift key, but every once in a while it prints two characters instead of one. So I have caps lock on and am typing while holding shift. The 'w' key, in case you would like to know, works but will continue to fire after the key has been released.

The reasoning behind my putting this under the drivers section is that although I have limited knowledge on the inner workings of keyboards, I would think that if 'a' doesn't work then shift + a shouldn't work, either (If it were a hardware problem).

Computer specs are as follows:
Compaq Presario CQ56
Windows 7 Home Premium (SP1) x64
Standard PS/2 Keyboard Driver (Up-to-date, and I just reinstalled it)

If any more information is necessary, then ask and ye shall receive.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Keyboard Problems: Driver Issue?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 04:00:57 PM »
It has nothing to do with drivers. Have you tried a different keyboard?

temp_name

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 04:08:33 PM »
I do not have a USB keyboard to test with, and I have only a USB to PS/2 adapter and not the opposite.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 04:11:18 PM »
Well, you need to test the keyboard. Either try a different keyboard on the system or try the keyboard on a different system. 99% it's a faulty keyboard.

temp_name

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 04:17:24 PM »
Well then, I guess that's all that I'm able to do for this then. Thanks for the information, in case I decide to do something about this later.