Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Ping  (Read 2561 times)

amir974

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Ping
    « on: January 07, 2012, 08:19:52 PM »
    Ping
    Could you please confirm whether I am right or not?
    *ping 192.168.0.1-> it says whther the computer is correctly connected to the router and LAN or not.

*ping 127.0.0.1-> It says whether the Network card and network software (Example:TCP/IP) work fine or not.

*Ping (Default gateway)-> ?????

Thanks

joy division

Re: Ping
    « Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 08:56:23 PM »
    You're right.

However, pinging the default gateway is pretty much the same thing as the first ping test listed in your post.  192.168.0.1 is a common default gateway address for SOHO routers.  If you ping the default gateway and get a reply, it means all your network hardware is working, from the NIC, to the cable, to the router.  You wouldn't have to ping 127.0.0.1 if you got a reply from the default gateway ping, since tcp/ip software is necessary to get a reply back from a default gateway ping. TCP/IP is assumed to be working if you can ping default gateway successfully. 

amir974

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 09:04:55 PM »
      Thank you for your nice explanation.
      However it is worth mentioning that my default gateway is different to "192.168.0.1"!!! I have read that 192.168.0.1 is the default gateway, so why do I have the different default gateway?
      Also is it right to say "if my computer is not connected correctly I receive an APIPA for my default gateway when I type ipconfig /all in cmd"?
      Many thanks

joy division

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 11:05:58 PM »
      When a computer that is configured to use DHCP (which is called a dhcp client) boots up it broadcasts to see if there are any DHCP servers connected on the network requesting an IP address.  If there is, the DHCP server (typically built into the router) accepts the request and gives the computer an IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway address.

When the computer broadcasts for an IP address and the dhcp server is not available, Windows will give the computer an APIPA so it can still communicate with other computers on the same network segment, even though you have no Internet connectivity. The ip address given to the computer are not routable on the Internet or to any other segment on the LAN.

joy division

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 11:09:26 PM »
      I take it you're not able to connect to the Internet ?  What exactly is the problem you're having?

amir974

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 11:57:00 PM »
        No; there is no problem; I was just figuring out the differences.
        Thank you for clarification.