Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Weird Pop Up!!  (Read 8198 times)

garybear

Re: Weird Pop Up!!
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2012, 09:19:16 AM »
Hello friends!!It's still a mystery for me. No I haven't disabled WOT yet. I'm pretty sure it's WOT that's causing the popup. The thing that has me puzzled is it doesn't happen every time I use IE9 to connect to MSN. I have a ATT. wireless router that is giving me some problems once in a while. I live in a retirement center and I'm wondering if some one is trying to use my internet connection.
I also loose my internet connection on occasions. I'm thinking about changing my ISP.
I really appreciate every one's help here at Computer Hope.
It's not any thing serious and I am just curious about this pop up.
Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. This is a great forum and I'm really enjoying it here!!
I'm going to mark this topic as solved; disable WOT and report back here if the pop up goes away!!
garybear 

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2012, 07:35:14 AM »
That popup although tied to WoT is not a WoT popup...
They open in the browser and are red with a black background...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

garybear

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2012, 08:30:00 AM »
That popup although tied to WoT is not a WoT popup...
They open in the browser and are red with a black background...
Hello Sir! Thank you for your reply. Yes I have seen the WOT pop up warning before. They are very scary.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2012, 08:41:52 AM »
Why not go ahead and install the certificate as it states in your image ? ?

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2012, 08:45:35 AM »
I have a ATT. wireless router that is giving me some problems once in a while. I live in a retirement center and I'm wondering if some one is trying to use my internet connection.
Can you elaborate on the "problems"?  Do you have WPA encryption enabled on your router?  If you use no encryption, other computer users within range of your router's wireless broadcast can access could use your Internet connection to connect to the Internet.

garybear

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2012, 09:06:09 AM »
Hello friends!! I have tried to install the certificate several times. It always says it completes installing , but the pop up comes right back. I don't always get the pop up. I use Firefox for my default browser. At this minute I have WOT disabled.
I have my wireless router password protected. I'm now thinking it could be a problem with my ISP. When I get time I will call ATT and ask them to check things out. I'm in a poor area for high speed internet. Some times my down load speed drops to under .50 MBPS. When that happens, my PC is very slow and even refuses to connect the first attempt. I have gotten use to that. I have a DSL connection and I'm thinking about changing my ISP, even though I retired from ATT. There service has been going down hill, especially in my area. They need to up grade to fiber optics. That would take care of my problems.
Thank you for your reply's. You are much appreciated.
garybear!!

soybean

Genius
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2012, 09:28:04 AM »
Some times my down load speed drops to under .50 MBPS. When that happens, my PC is very slow and even refuses to connect the first attempt.
How are you determining your download speed?  Download speed and computer speed are separate issues.  For example, if you use photo editing software on your computer, it should perform the same whether you have an Internet connection or not or how fast your Internet connection is.  Just because your download speed is slow doesn't mean your computer is slow.  Your comment makes me a bit inclined to think you actually have some computer issues, not just Internet connection issues.

I have my wireless router password protected.
But, is your wireless signal encrypted by using WEP or WPA/WPA2 encryption?

garybear

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2012, 10:51:32 AM »
Hello !  I just recently went wireless. I'm WEP I have only one unit. It's a 2 wire router from Att. 2701HB-B. That's about all I know about it.
I have noticed three lights that blink red on occasions. That's when I have problems. I really think it's the area I'm in??? I have a phone line that is connected to the same cable and I use a splitter to hook my telephone and PC up.
Hi soybean. My PC is slow watching internet videos. It is constantly buffering because of the down load speed. I have a Toshiba laptop with 6 Gigs of RAM a 4 core processor and 600gig Hard drive. It's pretty fast until I get on the net. That's when I experience a slow down.
If your thinking I might be infected, I'm 99.99% sure that I'm not. My Toshiba is less than 6 months old. I'm a very cautious surfer and I use MSE anti-virus with MBAM running in real time. I also use WOT. I'm not being redirected or  having any other know problems caused by infections. I don't have much to do, so I have already went back to the out of box restore. Spent some time getting my apps back and a ton of up dates; but it was fun and a learning experience.
Thanks for all your reply's. I really appreciate you guys.
PS I'm more than happy to answer questions and suggestions.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2012, 11:02:57 AM »
I'll bet those lights come up with phone activity....
A splitter is not ideal for DSL.
And you should have DSL filters on every phone line being used.

garybear

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2012, 11:18:38 AM »
I'll bet those lights come up with phone activity....
A splitter is not ideal for DSL.
And you should have DSL filters on every phone line being used.
I'm pretty sure no one is on the phone when the lites come on, but will keep that in mind. I miss spoke about the splitters.
I do have DSL filters on every phone. This is all new to me. I just moved here and I have only been using ATT for a couple of months. I had a different ISP before and I had a Dell desktop and I wasn't wireless.
All good suggestions and I appreciate you. Thank you!!
garybearPS I hope I'm giving you intelligent answers; not a garu, but know a little and I thank you for your patience.
I have been clicking on IE9 (WOT disabled) not seen the pop up yet.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2012, 12:39:42 PM »
Hi soybean. My PC is slow watching internet videos. It is constantly buffering because of the down load speed. I have a Toshiba laptop with 6 Gigs of RAM a 4 core processor and 600gig Hard drive. It's pretty fast until I get on the net. That's when I experience a slow down.
OK, the buffering is most likely due to your Internet connection speed, it's not a reflection of a slow computer.  Streaming media on the Internet, i.e. "internet videos", generally require a faster Internet connection speed, or higher bandwidth, than the 0.5Mbps you mentioned in a previous post.

ATT, like many other DSL providers, has several speed levels of service and the customer can choose the lowest speed and get the lowest cost or choose and faster speed and pay more.  So, what your current DSL package rated?  In other words, if you were getting the best possible speed from your current DSL package, what would that be? 

I believe the lowest level they offer is 768Kbps. The next level is probably 1.5Mbps, and they may have other packages as high as 10Mbps or higher. 

garybear

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2012, 02:28:33 PM »
Hi soybean. I have the fastest speed that Att can give me. I'm a long way form the office and I"m on copper. I know just a little bit about all this but I retired before all this high speed stuff began. They just keep getting faster. I was with a different ISP before I moved. They had fiber optics and so I'm not use to all this buffering. Att is aware of my dissatisfaction of this slow speed. There are times when I'm able to get 1.50MBPS or close to that. Most of the time it's slower. I'm not into downloading movies, so it's not a big problem. Sense starting this topic, I have learned that I have a choice of ISP's. The other SP say they can get me 10.0 MBPS. That would be great. I'm going to do some more checking on that.I 'm going to see if I can get out of my ATT contract sense I retired from ATT, and because their speed is terrible. I have really enjoyed all your reply's. Any more suggestions will be appreciated. I think we have just about covered it all.
I really do thank you for your knowledge and your time.
garybear!!

garybear

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2012, 03:07:16 PM »
Hi friend!! This is about as good as I ever get. I can watch you Tobe without buffering if I drop down to the 240 mark!

[year+ old attachment deleted by admin]

garybear

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2012, 08:37:35 PM »
I was thinking WoT may have something to do with it but I'm not sure what it is. Is it some kind of proxy? Or a plug-in?

Has disabling it solved the problem?
Hello Raptor!! Sorry it took me so long to answer your reply. I wanted to make sure. Yes sense I disabled WOT, I haven't gotten the pop up. I still don't know why WOT is giving me this pop up?? Oh well We all know that puters have a way to drive us crazy. I'll just live with it. Thanks again for all the reply's
garybear

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2012, 09:17:56 AM »
Thread locked.