Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hotmail plus questions.  (Read 3068 times)

Doug

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Experience: Beginner
Hotmail plus questions.
« on: January 28, 2012, 10:45:24 PM »
I'm thinking about doing this because I want an easy way at home to download and keep emails on my computer.  I don't plan on giving this email address out because I'm afraid of spam and getting mail I don't want.  I plan to forward mail to this from other accounts that I want to keep.  What do you think?  Also, importantly, I want to be able to download the emails and save them in a format that I won't have any problems viewing.  For example, I get an email from JCPenny (for example), and it has all kinds of graphics and different fonts, will I be able to download that email and view it.  Along with simple emails that are simple text friends?  I've tried the POP thing and cannot get it to work and want to download email like I mentioned before as easily as it is to upload photos to Photobucket. 

Another big question about Hotmail, will I have to download anything onto my computer to do this.  Or will it be the opposite, so to speak, of uploading to Photobucket.  I just choose the path or place to put the documents and there they go? 

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Hotmail plus questions.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 01:01:55 AM »
Most e-mails services will let you auto-forward all mail to another e-mail address. For example, my Hotmail account will forward everything over to my yahoo account, if that is what I specify in the options.
Many users still prefer POP over web-mail. The right e-mail program will let you save the e-mail with all the graphics, if you want.

The following article is about Outlook, but the information is broad enough that you can apply  the ideas to other scenarios.
http://www.brighthub.com/office/collaboration/articles/15910.aspx
5 E-Mail Clients to Replace Microsoft Outlook
Please read over the article and come back and post your comments.

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 03:36:38 AM »
I'd recommend http://www.gmx.com instead.

Doug

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 12:26:06 PM »
I scanned that page and saw Opera and downloaded it and have been using it since last night.  I've used Opera before.  There are some things I've got to figure out but I'm going to give it a try.  I didn't know I could buy Outlook Express from MS.  It's kind of expensive for what I would be doing.  But, I'm going to use Opera for awhile and see how it goes.  Thanks.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 08:21:52 PM »
I didn't know I could buy Outlook Express from MS. 
Outlook Express is free.  Outlook is not.  You need to make the distinction.  Also, Outlook Express does not work with Windows Vista, your OS.  Windows Vista comes with Windows Mail which is similar to Outlook Express. 

soybean

Genius
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 08:24:15 PM »
I scanned that page and saw Opera
You saw Opera where?  Was it an advertisement on http://www.gmx.com/?  How does Opera relate to your Hotmail question?   ???

Doug

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 08:41:35 PM »
Soybean, the link in the second reply has a list of programs to use for email.  Opera was on the list and I decided to try it.  I want a program that will collect all my email and give me the option to easily download to keep. 

soybean

Genius
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 08:44:24 PM »
Ah, I see.  Yes, I've given Opera's embedded email client a test drive and find it a worthy competitor in the email client arena.  And, I like Opera as a browser.