Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Xp wont Start  (Read 3127 times)

bh13

Xp wont Start
« on: September 14, 2005, 03:27:05 PM »
I have a Dell computer that is about 4 yrs old and was used regularly. One day i tried to turn on my computer and it showed the dell logo as usual, but when it usually shows the text in the DOS format it is just a black screen. If anyone has any idea of what is goin on help would be much appreciated.

merlin_2

Re: Xp wont Start
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 03:42:09 PM »
Tower/desktop/laptop.......info........not posted......sp2 loaded on system
« Last Edit: September 14, 2005, 03:42:29 PM by merlin_2 »

Agent

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 04:23:03 PM »
Recovery console
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307654#3

Then
After getting to the Recovery Console prompt, make certain that you are in the C:\Windows path for XP (assuming that XP is on C:, that Windows was installed into the \Windows directory, and that your hard disk is readable).

Change to your CD drive - by typing "D:", "E:" or "F:" etc. -- this varies per system but is most often:

D:

Change to i386 path by typing:

cd i386

Copy necessary files to root path (C: in this case) of winxp installation by typing:

copy ntldr C:
copy ntdetect.com C:

Change back to your windows path:

C:
cd windows

Attempt to fix the boot record:

fixboot c:

Try restarting machine - if still nothing - go back into recovery console by booting from cd Then run:

fixmbr c:

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 04:35:58 PM »
Without info.........its hard to assume .........how to fix pc.

bh13

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2005, 07:20:46 PM »
its a Dell Tower, sorry for not posting earlier i did not think that would make a difference merlin. and Agent thanks for the info, i dont have time to try it right now but i m goin to try it tomorrow i just felt i should post back and let you guys know i havent figured it out yet, i should post after i try reinstalling XP and try the whole recovery console. thanks again

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #5 on: September 19, 2005, 01:51:01 AM »
    No post screen, this will be good  ::)

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2005, 05:48:04 AM »
    its a Dell Tower, sorry for not posting earlier i did not think that would make a difference merlin. and Agent thanks for the info, i dont have time to try it right now but i m goin to try it tomorrow i just felt i should post back and let you guys know i havent figured it out yet, i should post after i try reinstalling XP and try the whole recovery console. thanks again

We need to know what has happened.

bh13

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2005, 08:03:27 AM »
    i dont really know what happened, my father called me saying it wouldnt start

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2005, 08:08:34 AM »
    What model is this? Have you tried the community forums at www.dell.com? It may be a known issue for that model.

Mac

XP won't Start
    « Reply #9 on: October 30, 2005, 09:08:18 AM »
    Are you getting the POST (Power On Self Test) single BEEP?