Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Shared Printers and Hard Disks Ubunto 11.10  (Read 3836 times)

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Knowlege will take you further than any guide
    • Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Shared Printers and Hard Disks Ubunto 11.10
« on: February 13, 2012, 09:05:11 PM »
Hello all. I am pretty new to the scene of Ubuntu and linex. I have learned much about the systems from using the OS as my main operating system, but i still have some questions.

I have a 1 TB external hard disk that i have plugged into a Dell Inspiron 1525 running Ubuntu Desktop 11.10 64 bit, and i am trying to share that disk across the network, primarily to another dell Inspiron model, 1526. The network is wireless, and the two laptops are sitting in my workstation both plugged into external displays for dual monitors on each. I would like to share the 1 TB drive, but all the options i have tried thus far end in the result of me finding the shared folder on the hard drive, and when i try to connect to the folder, a popup tells me that ubuntu was unable to mount to location.
I have tried two meat methods for the sharing, but neither worked. and neither i remember the names for

Secondly, i have an HP Deskjet F4180 plugged into the same Inspiron 1525 laptop. through a USB connection. My question with this one is how do i share it across the network to the Inspiron 1526 that is sitting across the desk.

All help appreciated, thanks.
I consider myself a hacker. Not in the way of "I can break into your facebook" but in the way, I like to learn as much as I can, about anything i can. I don't just like having things fixed, I like to understand why it was broken and why a particular solution fixed it. It is just how I am, and how I will always be. As teachers have said before, you cant learn if you don't figure it out in your own mind.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Shared Printers and Hard Disks Ubunto 11.10
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 07:04:29 AM »
If the external hard drive will permanently be connected, I would do the following: mount it at boot (through /etc/fstab); share it using Samba, if it's a Windows network or through NFS is it's a Linux network.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos