Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How do I...  (Read 1722 times)

GatorCat

How do I...
« on: September 16, 2005, 09:03:12 AM »
Hi

My folks bought me a new desktop because the programs I was running on my laptop were beating the snot out of my computer. BUT...the desktop they bought is not that powerful (sadly my parents don't know much about computers and wanted to surprise me)

SO, I'm wondering if it is possible to connect both the computers together so that I can cross save...put all my files on one drive, and the high powered programs on the other.

I'm at school so I'm not allowed to connect both to the internet for filesharing (whcih is fine because a jumpdisk will work for that) but I'm trying to maximize the space on both machines, and use them as one.

Is this possible? and how would I do it?

Thanks,
GatorCat

merlin_2

Re: How do I...
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 02:13:05 PM »
Datalink /crossover cable.

GatorCat

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2005, 06:02:08 PM »
is that all it takes?

Is there a certain way to set it up so that everything saves to one drive, and the other stuff runs off the other?

That would be so cool.

Thanks

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2005, 08:40:17 PM »
Yes. If I'm right, you can use the Windows XP Files and Settings Wizard. Once the computers are connected, you can run this, and files and settings can be transferred from one computer to the other.

[glb]Flame[/glb]