Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: !!Major Computer Problems!!  (Read 5448 times)

Whitney22

!!Major Computer Problems!!
« on: July 06, 2004, 10:09:45 PM »
Hi, I have a few questions to ask. I dont know who this is for, but im hoping you can help. :-/
   I have a compaq computer that i got in 2000. When i turn the computer on, the pc is on but when i turn the monitor on, it turns on but its a completely black screen. Now once in a blue moon and i can actually get on it and it'll go through windows to the desktop, otherwise its not. Now people have told me i should just get a new monitor or a video card.
 But when I place the monitor with a different hard drive it works perfectly and it turns on in a snap. I place a different monitor on my hard drive, it doesnt work. Strange huh?
 Just a few weeks ago I brought it into a computer store and they cleaned everything out of it, so it is free of viruses and worms. They also put in 128 full of memory. Whats the deal? So is it a hardware problem or monitor?
  My next question is, once when i finally get it up and running. And it is through windows and on the desktop, in a matter of 5 minutes it freezes up on me. I cant move the mouse and I have to retart the computer manually. What is this?
  Thanks so much for reading this and helping me out. I will greatly appreciate your feeback.  ;D

merlin

Re: !!Major Computer Problems!!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 01:19:41 AM »
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/q155/0/53.asp&NoWebContent=1  it does seem to point to a graphic card test it if you can type dxdiag in the run box also any beeping on booting?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2004, 01:23:30 AM by merlin »

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 08:26:08 AM »
If you are saying it works with different harddrives, you should consider replacing the one currently installed and see if it functions better as a slave.

Whitney22

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2004, 10:44:04 AM »
yes there is beeping and where can i locate the run box? Because i dont think i can type it in if its a completely black screen. if i do buy a new video card, how do i put it in and can i use my same monitor with the new card?

merlin

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2004, 12:26:56 PM »
ok before you part with your cash ...re-boot pc and hit the f8 key <safe mode> and type dxdiag in the run box this will test your graphics card this could be a driver issue? ...also if you right-click with your mouse if you can my computer /properties/device manager andd scroll down the list are there any yellow tri-angles?

Whitney22

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2004, 02:10:32 PM »
now the computer finally goes on all the way, there are no beeps. the windows screen comes up and it freezes, i dont get it. i tried to press f8 and no boxes came up to put the dxdiag in. there are no yellow triangles in the device manager. i just dont get it...grr

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2004, 03:54:18 PM »
Here is what Merlin meant:

Upon booting, press F8 (Or CTRL, may differ) and select 'safe mode' from the list.

Once you are in safemode, go to start -> Run -> Dxdiag and press enter.

Head to the 'monitor' tab and select the diagnostic tests.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2004, 03:54:51 PM by Raptor »

Whitney22

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2004, 08:35:13 PM »
it says there is no problems with anything. now everytime i turn the computer the monitor works with it. whats the deal...should i still  buy a video card as a back up?

Hutson Ventures

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 03:18:53 PM »
    If your computer is still locking up I would check a few things. First off have you installed more than one anti-virus program?  Do a cntrl alt delete and watch you computers preformance see if it goes above around 15% or so when its sitting still. Let me know what happens. Thanks,Adam

[Removed. Do not advertise on our forum]
    « Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 03:25:46 AM by Carbon Dudeoxide »

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 03:29:32 PM »
    Nothing like a 4 1/2 year old bump to get people thinking again...
    Maybe they'll be back though...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Hutson Ventures

Greenhorn

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 03:46:25 PM »
      That's odd.. Mine said 2008 - or maybe it's almost 5 ... lol :) Probably my mistake.

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 03:59:21 PM »
      OMG it's back from the dead! : :o

;D

Haha still got Raptor's original profile posted here...

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 03:25:39 AM »
      No one noticed his SPAM?