Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DIY a KM switch  (Read 3104 times)

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Knowlege will take you further than any guide
    • Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
DIY a KM switch
« on: March 27, 2012, 12:35:45 AM »
Hello to all.
I am curious to what lengths i have to go to to create a small three way KM (keyboard and mouse) switch for my small workstation??

I just need to free up desk space from the area three keyboards and mice take up, and hopefully find a way to accomplish this task without programing a chip or creating a whole dedicated PCB (Not quite sure if this is even the right site to ask about this)

I am willing for soldering, as to be assumed by the nature of the project. and i understand that the absence of a PCB will mean that i will have a minor birds nest of wires once it is done, and thank god i am not trying for video switching.
I do have one of those nifty usb tools that provide four ports from one i could scrap for this. (i will assume this is called a usb hub)

My basic idea is to have my keyboard and mouse plugged into the usb hub and switch that, in basics, yes?? because i am not worried about the computers thinking there is no keyboard at boot or which not.
Plus doing this would also allow me to plug in a bar code scanner into a third port of the usb hub, and possibly another usb input device

My only worry is the delay that might take place in the computer realizing the new hardware is in place before being able to use it (even though it is only like, a single second)

If anyone knows anything about how i can do this, please let me know, even if it is a link to another site, or forum. Thanks. And i am always willing to learn something new about electronics.
I consider myself a hacker. Not in the way of "I can break into your facebook" but in the way, I like to learn as much as I can, about anything i can. I don't just like having things fixed, I like to understand why it was broken and why a particular solution fixed it. It is just how I am, and how I will always be. As teachers have said before, you cant learn if you don't figure it out in your own mind.

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: DIY a KM switch
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 07:51:47 AM »
http://www.arune.se/electronic:kmswitch
Complete guide to building a 3-way KVM switch.
In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none